Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure distance from a point to a curved surface?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi, I want to measure the distance from a point to where it would intersect with a curved surface in the Z direction. What is the correct way to achieve this associatively? I assume the Measure Projected Distance would be the most logical command, but none of the distance options work.

measure distance.png

7 REPLIES

Re: Measure distance from a point to a curved surface?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

In this situation the projected measurement is behaving strangely. I am not sure, if there is any way,how to get this distance in model and in this situation could be very helpful use drawing and make sketch in it. Then you can use normal dimensions.

distance.png

Creator
Creator

Place a datum plane on the side of the side of solid rectangular feature. Create an intersection curve between the plane and the curved surface. Then you can measure between the solid feature and the curve

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @JRW,

Create a datum axis along the edge.

Create an intersection point using the datum axis and surface by the command 'Point Set' and create the associative measure with the 'Projected Distance' command. By this way the measurement will be associative.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks, this seems like the best solution so far. Although the intersection curve method by Elljay produces fewer features, it will not work if the surface is more organic in shape. 

However, if the measurement needs to be done in an assembly, where the objects to be measured belong to different parts, two additional WAVE linked features has be created, one for each part. So, a total of four(!) features need to be created first before the distance measurement can be performed. A bit excessive, but at least the workaround works.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

Sorry i know you have already solved it so ignore if it is of no use to you.

pr1.jpg

Regards

Kapil

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

No need for any ER's...

The Measure command in NX12.0.1 will provide more options that will allow you to accomplish this without having to create additional geometry.

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer

Kapil, this looks to be an even better solution. I didn't realize the Project Curve command could project a point. This method produces one less feature than Ganesh's solution, and looks cleaner without the datum axis. Thanks.

Ben, that is very good news indeed.