Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from SolidWorks to NX Problems

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello all,

I'm trying to migrate a SolidWorks assembly to NX 10. First of all it takes very long to migrate (about 30 hours).

After migration is done, it seems that NX only migrated the two first layers in the assembly-Navigator. So if an assembly consists of other assemblies, the lower assemblies will not be migrated. Does anyone know if there is a setting to be done to solve this problem?

Thanks and greetings

Alex

12 REPLIES

Re: Migration from SolidWorks to NX Problems

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

How are you migrating, using the SW to NX migration tool, or using a STEP file?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

We migrate our Solidworks to NX via JT with embedded Parasolid files in Teamcenter.  Never had a problem like you describe using our method.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Dave,

I use the SW to NX migration tool with sldprt & sldasm files.

Alex

Gears Phenom

We didn't use the migration tool, so I'm of no help on this one, sorry.

-Dave

Siemens Phenom

HI Alex!

Actually, the Migration happens from the bottom up, so the lower level compoments and sub-assemblies will migrate first, followed by their parents, and so on.

So I'm not sure how you would get the the sort of assembly you described. What are you seeing for these lower-level items in the Assembly Navigator?

It's also very odd that it should be taking so long to run.

What Options do you have set for the Migration session?

I'd normally ask for the CMM_Scratch folder, which includes all option files and logs to be set to GTAC via IR so we can review the details. Is it possible for you to submit that to GTAC? Even better you can also provide a sample of the original SWX files to test with, but I understand if they are proprietary models.

Also, since you only mentioned "NX 10", I'll suggest you confirm your CMM and NX versions. You need NX to be at least at high, or higher, than the CMM version (e.g. CMM 10.0.3 with NX 10.0.3, not NX 10.0.2).

Hope that helps.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi PatMcManus,

thank you for your reply. The NX version is 10.0.2.6. I could not find a folder called " CMM_scratch" only one with the name "CMM_INSPECTION".

Is it possible to set an IR without having soldto ID etc.? I am student and the license I use is a network-license in my university.

To your other questions:

What I see in the Assembly-Navigator is attached. There you see a subassembly part of the main assembly that has not been migrated and one that has been migrated. It seems to me that NX does not provide migration of subassemblies from the "second layer" of subassemblies.

Seperate migration of subassemblies has been done only for the first subassemblies, too.

Thank you

Alex

Siemens Phenom

HI Alex!

Thanks for the additional information. It is very helpful.

In your reply to DaveK you mentioned that you were using the "migration tool", so I assumed you were migrating Solidworks files using our Content Migration Manager (CMM) for Solidworks tool. My earlier reply was based on assuming you used CMM.

From your reply I can see now that you were not using CMM, but were just using the File, Open, Solidworks method.

This method more like a "translator", even though it's not STEP, in that you only get the geometry/bodies/structure, but no Features, PMI, assembly constraints, associative drawings, etc... from Solidworks, like CMM can do.

It was not clear to me from your picture what structure is missing, since I do not know what the original structure looked like in Solidworks, but if you are asking about the ability to open sub-assemblies or sub-sub-assemblies, that is supported and will work. I have a sample assembly I test with that is 5 assembly levels deep, and I get the full structure when I use File, Open on the top level .SLDASM file.

So I assume it something unique to your data. The unusually long time it takes also makes me suspect something may be unusual with your data.

Also, keep in mind that the File, Open method will only maintain the basic assembly structure. If your data contains Solidworks "Configuration" data, at either part or assembly level, that is not translated. See the notes at the bottom of the File, Open help page:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uid:fil_open_d

For Configurations, you would need to set the desired Configuration in Solidworks, Save the data in that state, then Open that file in NX. You could then "re-combine" the various Configuration files in NX, and turn it in to either a Family of Part, a set of NX Arrangements, or Product Template Studio (PTS) Template.

Finally, if you have components Suppressed in Solidworks (even if not by Configurations), I'm not sure those come over (I'd need to confirm that).

Hope that helps!

Pat

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Pat,

thank you for your detailed reply. I'm not able to find out which settings have been done by creating the SW-data.

Meanwhile I succeeded to import the files by first importing them to Creo 3.0 and creating a STEP-file. Not a glorious success (for me and for NX) but it worked.

Maybe the CMM would have been a better solution but I do not have access to this software.

Anyhow I appreciate your help.

Greetings

Alex

Gears Phenom

We started the migration using STEP files, and then found out about the migration tool.  Once we finally got the migration tool, we had already migrated a large portion of our data, and we decided not to use the migration tool.

Sorry for any confusion.

-Dave