Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror Feature operation on Draft producing slightly unsymmetrical results?

Creator
Creator

I am using NX11 to create some complex parts containing many drafts. In the image below, the top half is the original draft, which is then mirrored above the centerline in red. When a draft angle of 5 degrees or smaller is used (top picture),the edge of the drafts cuts in two separate ways, while when a draft angle larger than 5 degrees is used (bottom picture), the edge of the drafts both cut in a triangular fashion.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and how to fix it? I am okay with either resolution, as long as both sides are symmetrical. I am not sure if it is just a visual glitch either.

Thanks!

Capture.PNG2.PNG

4 REPLIES

Re: Mirror Feature operation on Draft producing slightly unsymmetrical results?

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @RichardYang

Long time ago there was a big discussion about Mirror Feature command.

I never use this command and I discourage its use for most features.

In the old version of UG only some features could be mirrored, just did not appear in the command list such as Blend an Taper (Draft old name)

Look at the image below.

mirror.png

Phenom
Phenom
We aren't using NX11 yet, so I'm not sure if they've obsoleted Mirror Geometry or Mirror Body, but if they're still around you might try either of those and see if you get the same results.

-Tim

Creator
Creator

The mirror geometry feature produced a consistent result on both sides for me. Thanks!

Phenom
Phenom
@RichardYang

No problem - glad it worked out for you. I would strongly recommend you send your part using Mirror Feature into GTAC and log an IR for this, as that seems to be not working correctly.

Pretty sad that it's almost 2020 and NX still doesn't have reliable commands as far as Arrays and Mirroring are concerned - that's day 1 modeling stuff, IMO.
-Tim