Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mirror Parts in Assembly

Hello,

I was using the Mirror function in my assembly, but I realized my mirrored assembly didn't match to the original assembly. For some reason, the mirrored assembly is tilted or on an angle compared to the plane or the original assembly.

Is this is a known issue with NX 9? Is there a way to fix this?

I have tried it in NX 10, but it doesn't seem any different. Any advice?

Thanks,

Jason Brehmer

Mirror.PNG

10 REPLIES

Re: Mirror Parts in Assembly

[ Edited ]

I know in some other software mirrored bodies/components lineup to their Center of Gravity (CG) about the mirror plane. May be it's the same here in NX too.

This creates a havoc in Non-Symmetrical components.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.0.33 + PDW

I'm sure this will come up as a question in the future with customers with NX.

Is this something that can be remedied? Is there a better way to mirror parts? Or is there a way to fix this assembly to look symmetrical.

Thanks,

Jason Brehmer

Yes, I can confirm this issue in NX too.

Check the following two videos. I took parts from Reuse Library. One part is non-symmetrical and other one is Symmetrical.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.0.33 + PDW

Symmetrical part:

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.0.33 + PDW

I'd suggest contacting GTAC directly about this issue; it appears to be a bug.

[ Edited ]

I found that default variation 6of6 makes this problomatic mirror assembly and if I toggle to 3of6 it makes the correct mirror assembly.

Anyway I was in contact with GTAC and this was the last message:

Hi Michael,

I was able to duplicate the scenario with your part as well as mine. The reason it didn’t seem like I was duplicating it before was that my “3 of 6” and “6 of 6” weren’t on top of each other like yours are. The difference between each option is simply that they are two of the six solutions that NX finds, which are all unique. These two options, for parts such as yours, happen to be very close together, and thus cause confusion. This is most likely due to the way the part was designed relative to its WCS. I’m going to contact Development to check how “6 of 6” is calculated, and what causes it to be the default for you. However, I have a feeling that this functionality will be as designed, as it is just another one of the 6 solutions available. This same result appears in the newest release of NX 11 as well.

Thanks,

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.0.33 + PDW

Another big limitation is that mirror assembly is not associative. All others CAD have mirror assembly associative, but NX 11 on 2017 no.
Thank you...

Using NX 10 / RuleDesigner PDM

Testing NX 11 on production
Testing NX 12 Beta on production

Yes. It would be great if Siemens implement associative mirror assemblies soon.

It does exisit today. It is under the linked mirror assembly command.

Here is the menu

LinkedMirror.png

And here is the linked to the documentation on how to use it.

Linked Mirror

Scott