Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror inside an Assembly

Pioneer
Pioneer

Just wondering how others are handling this scenario. I know best practice is to have the assembly used as a place holder and then create components inside, which is done most of the time. But, I like to put my bolts and dowels inside of the component that the are inside of and when I move that component they move with is and also appear on my part print if I wish. This is all good except when it comes to assembly mirroring. If I mirror a component that has bolts and dowels under it, it will not let me make the main component an associative mirror. Is there any way around this besides removing the bolts and dowels besides adding them after the mirror. Just wondering if any one else is dealing with this.

Thanks

Brian
NX 11.0.2
Win 7 pro 64 bit
quadro k4000
10 REPLIES

Re: Mirror inside an Assembly

Phenom
Phenom

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Creating mirror assembly will create entirely new parts and that can not be associative. One need to do the desired modifications to individual parts in the assembly.

@brian1234 If I understood your question correctly, You have an assembly which contains a sub assembly with some screw,pins etc. You want to mirror sub assembly without screws,pins and it should remain associative.

Using Mirror Body option from WAVE Geomtery Linker will do the work but it will affect parts list in the drawing (If you are concerned with BOM). Mirrored body will not be included in the parts list as it will get added to the part navigator.

Another work around will be, Inside sub assembly, create a reference set which does not include screw,pins. Pattern the sub assembly using circular pattern and replace the model reference set of patterened sub assembly with reference set which do not contain screw,pins. This will maintain the associativity but it will again impact the parts list as patterned sub assembly will get added to the parts list with screws,pins though you dont needed.

Pioneer
Pioneer

This is what I'm talking about, this single component I can mirror and make it associative, if I have screws in it the associative box is highlighted out and I have to click the box on the right which is non associative mirror

mirror.jpg

Brian
NX 11.0.2
Win 7 pro 64 bit
quadro k4000

Phenom
Phenom

NX limitation?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@brian1234 Yes, you are right. I have tried this. When component has some child parts like screws etc, the associative button greys out. Seems to be limitation as per comment from @mike_fdo.

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Just to clarify...  When you put fasteners (or any components) into your "part", you are changing your "part" into an assembly (by definition).  So now you have a subassembly that contains both geometry and components.

When the Mirror Assembly Wizard finds a subassembly, it can't create an "associative" subassembly.  What would it mean to create an "associative" subassembly?  The geometry could be associative (as you expect), but the components would have to be reoriented (in the case of symetric parts like standard nuts/bolts) or new mirrored components would need to be created (associative or non-associative).

Would it be obvious that the "associative" option for a subassembly applies only to the geometry at the subassembly level (which is not common) and not to the components in the subassembly?

Thanks for the feedback...

Phenom
Phenom

It may be obvious to those who have not seen beyond NX. Would you like to see around?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Phenom
Phenom

Let's put drafting specific commands in modeling while we're at it.

I'm not really sure where we draw the line at defining models, drawings, drafting, assemblies or facet modeling - let's just jumble it all together.

-Tim

Phenom
Phenom

Really: Is it new here? Start from the fundamentals; Drawing is a part file, a Part file could be an assembly file, Master model drawing is a drawing file but it’s an assembly file designated as a part file, on top of that there are Layers and it’s behaviour, then comes Hide and show, Blank, Unblank, Show and hide in views and goes on: More the merrier! Let’s be optimistic and call that it’s a great place to explore and find your own way out from this universe of possibilities. Happy?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW