Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Mixed floating and node-locked license

Hello!

Does anyone have experience with installation of mixed nodelocked and floating license?
In one license, I have floating license and nodelocked license (several mach advantage licenses). Here is what I have already done:
1. I have installed NX license server on company's server
2. on client computer (NX user), there is the same license file in a folder c:\NXlicense
3. the variable SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER  is set so, that it points to the folder c:\NXlicense. Just like node-locked installation.
4. I have also set the following variable UGS_LICENSE_BUNDLE=NX41000

Now, as long as the client computer is in the network, NX works. It can reach the appropriate node-locked license and can use the floating license, when it is available.
But, when the client is out of network, NX doesn't work. It can not find the nodelocked license, that is created for this computer.
When out of network, I get the following error:
License Error, Error while attemmpting to get FLEX daemon version. [-10042].

How can I set the installation of NX so, that it will work also without the network.

Thanks.
Regards.

7 REPLIES

Re: Mixed floating and node-locked license

Seems that there are no node locked licenses, since all are contained in the floating license file.

Does the feature or increment definition of the licenses supposed to be node locked indicate that they are node locked?

From my point of view, you will have to use license borrowing to be able to use NX on the road.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 7.4, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0

The license looks like this:

SERVER YourHostname COMPOSITE=123456abcdef 28000
VENDOR ugslmd
PACKAGE NX41000 ugslmd 30.0 COMPONENTS=...................................
INCREMENT NX41000 ugslmd 30.0 permanent 1 HOSTID=abcdefgh1234.....

INCREMENT NX41000 ugslmd 30.0 permanent 1 HOSTID=4321hgfedcba.....

INCREMENT catv5_nx_sca ugslmd 30.0 permanent 1 SUPERSEDE.................

So, when in the network, client HOSTID=abcdefgh1234 will get MACH Advantage license. The same will be with client  HOSTID=4321hgfedcba. And both of those clients can get floating license of catia translator.

But, since the NX41000 is node-locked license, shouldn't this license work also, when the client is not in the network? Just like a regular node-locked installation? If the only node-locked installation is done, there is a variable like  SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER=c:\NXlicense\splm.lic. So, if I create a folder with this license and set the license variable, shouldn't NX be working?

I assume, that with such variable, NX41000 license should work. But, if I select floating license (catia translator), then the environment variable/license file will search for the floating license. And if I am not in the network, the license will not work. 

Thanks.

Regards.

Not sure if this works with local "node locked" and floating license server, but it does work with 2 floating servers

set SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER = "28000@host1;28000@host2" (I forget if comma or semicolon is delimeter?)

So maybe try

SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER = "c:\NXlicense\splm.lic;28000@host1"

(you always want to pull from the node locked license first)

When off-network, you might want to remove the "28000@host1" - NX may have to wait for it to time out alot.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

I think the problem is the server line, which seems to take precedence over the host id in the increments.

I would call GTAC for further help, since there could be an issue with the license file.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 7.4, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author SvenBom
‎10-18-2016 03:49 PM

Hello @SvenBom,

I believe in the case you describe here, you have a server/floating license, with a restriction to certain host-ID's. This is different from a stand-alone node locked license.

Without knowing the exact deatails, I would say, you should set up the license as a server license, by using the variable SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER=28000@YourServer

Should you want to  work outside the network, you should borrow the license on the client (guessing borrowing is enabled). Using the server license by just pointing to the license file, will not work in case the license file contains a Server line.

If you do not have borrowing on your license, contact GTAC or your Account mananger, to have this added to the license.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Hello!

Thank you all for helping me with this issue. I have tried all of the proposed solutions but unfortunatelly, it didn't work.

So the company will set the VPN connection, so the user will be able to get the license from the server. So in that way, the user will be able to run NX outside of the company.

Thanks again to all of you.

Regards.

Just to be clear: having a "node-locked" license does not mean that NX will keep working even after you disconnect from the license server. If you need to work away from the server, you will need to VPN to the server or use license borrowing.