Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model points in drawing views

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello!

I am having a question about new behaviour for model points in drawing views. We usually add some regular points added in Modeling application to the Drawing file using Menu --> Insert --> Datum/Point --> Point.

In NX10 these points showed up on the drawing views and when selectring the Point feature in the Part Navigator, the point highlighted in the drawing view, so you could easily see where a Point feature was located in the drawing views. Also the other way around, when clicking on the point in the drawing view, it was showing the Name of the point feature.

In NX12 and NX1851 it doesnt behave the same way. When selecting the Point feature in Part Navigator, it does not highlight in drawing view anymore, and when selecting the point in the drawing view, it does not show the feature name. It only show "Drafting Point (Extracted Point).

See attachment for differences NX10 to NX1851.

I know there was some enhancement to the points in drawings in NX12 so maybe that is related to this issue.

Anyone know if there are some setting or similar that controlls this? Or is it a known bug?

Best regards, Alex

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Model points in drawing views

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @alexsege2 ,

Welcome to community!

Yes, you're seeing this behavior as since NX12 model points are shown as drafting extracted points and they do not carry its feature name or to which component they belong to (component name is also missing).

Below was an IR which was later converted to ER:

ER 9196435: Points no longer show component names when selected for dimensioning.

I would suggest you to contact GTAC and report an ER.

Workaround: I don't see any workaround for this issue than to changing the points color in Modeling and finding them according to color in Drafting for other operations.

Edit: Other workaround would be to use PMI notes to a point and placing a view with  inherited PMI On.

Regards,
Samadhan

GTAC | NX Help: NX1102 | NX1202 | NX1847
Please mark post as an "Accepted Solution", if it answers your question/is more helpful!

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Smiley Happy

I will have a look at that ER and possibly file another one as well.

Will investigate the workarounds, one solution could be to use Datum Cordinate system feature instead, they seem to behave as earlier versions did for the points.

Regards, Alexander

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Could be that NX drafting views are now from Model part not Drafting part.

GTAC has Environment Variable to switch this back.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
@SamadhanGaikwad,

Why is all 2D Modeling Geometry being changed to Extracted Geometry over the course of a few releases???? This is a regression IMO and should be reverted back to whatever version before Modeling curves were still non-Extracted without the need for ERs.

There is a setting to turn on for Extracted Geometry on drawings and THAT should be the ONLY way 2D geometry (in Modeling) gets changed to Extracted, PERIOD.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@TimF , You might get the answer here in What's new in NX12 doc: Support for model points in drafting views

Regards,
Samadhan

GTAC | NX Help: NX1102 | NX1202 | NX1847
Please mark post as an "Accepted Solution", if it answers your question/is more helpful!

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
So say a change to Modeling curves or points is made (like a Move or a Color Change) - do the Drafting Views show up as OUT OF DATE if not set for Automatic Updates (to reflect an update is needed for the Extracted geometry)?

Please, feel free to physically test that out - I cannot at the moment. If as in NX11, the views do not show up as OUT OF DATE and a manual update is required.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6