Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model template vs Assembly template?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm new to NX and am wondering what the Assembly template offers that the Model template doesn't? Both allow parts to be added and created, and except for the datum included in the Model template, appear to be same.    If I'm going to be creating a new assembly, does it really matter which one I use?  Thanks!

7 REPLIES

Re: Model template vs Assembly template?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@pkelecy wrote:

I'm new to NX and am wondering what the Assembly template offers that the Model template doesn't? Both allow parts to be added and created, and except for the datum included in the Model template, appear to be same.    If I'm going to be creating a new assembly, does it really matter which one I use?  Thanks!

As Model, Assembly, Drawing, all files have the same '. prt' extension there is not much more difference between the model and assembly templates. You have already noticed the difference of datum between these two. When you start the part with the assembly template it ask to add the components.

Using model template you can also add the components, use the assembly commands and save it as the assembly. Now switching to drafting mode and creating the drawings and saving all them into one file is possible.

Templates are useful when it comes to customization. There are global standards, every company have their own standards/processes. Using customization you can have predefined seed templates as per your requirements.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uid:create_new_templates_1

Siemens Phenom

Yes, for example, once we enhanced Attributes a few releases back, I started to predefine Part Attributes in the various part file templates where I would create those attributes that were specific to the type of template.  For example, I would have have Material or Finish attributes in the Part Model template which would be meaningless in an Assembly file.  Or in the Drafting Template I would have Drawing Sheet Size.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Phenom
Templates also set up NX in the proper application for the template. For example, creating a new assembly file from an assembly template automatically turns on the Assemblies application for you.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

The biggest difference for us is the modeling template has a coordinate system to start modeling off of.  I also think the modeling has a couple different settings than the assembly.  Background, display performance settings to name a few.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the replies.  They basically confirmed what I suspected, that I can use either template and be fine.  I probably stay with the model template as I've already customized it a bit (turned off auto dimensioning, and gave it a sky blue background).

@LarryCarpenter wrote:
Templates also set up NX in the proper application for the template. For example, creating a new assembly file from an assembly template automatically turns on the Assemblies application for you.

This comment caught my attention.  I've created a few "top-down" assemblies using the model template, and I wasn't aware I needed to "turn on" the assembly application. Does that happen automatically just by switching to the Assemblies tab?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

On the "application" tab, the "assemblies" option should be toggled on. With the current "bundle" license scheme there is no reason that I know of to ever turn it off. Both modeling and assemblies are included in the current base bundle.

Under the old license scheme, you could buy separate modeling and assemblies licenses. To free up an assemblies license for your coworker, you would need to turn off the assemblies application.

"I wasn't aware I needed to "turn on" the assembly application. Does that happen automatically just by switching to the Assemblies tab?"

If you turn off the assemblies application, the assemblies tab will disappear. This will often catch users off guard during an upgrade to a newer version of NX as the assemblies application is turned off by default (for no apparent reason); leading to questions such as "why can't I add a component?".

Siemens Phenom

I misspoke.

There is a customer default named "Restore Assemblies Application" that will automatically restore (or not) the Assemblies application when opening a file.

What I meant was that using an assembly template automatically puts you into "Add Component" right away. 

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,