Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling Sheet Metal with Large Repeated Pattern

Experimenter
Experimenter

I've been searching around on this topic for quite a while and cannot seem to work out what I'm doing wrong.

So far I've tried this in both NX 8.5 and NX 10

I have a 2m flat plate that has a 25mm x 25mm pattern of dimples and through holes on the central 1.5m x 1.5m

This comes out to about 3600 instances.

I've been trying to model it by doing a solid punch and simple cut and then switching to modeling mode and using pattern feature to populate the whole area.

This method has been taking so long to complete that I haven't even made it through the processing.

I've even tried just running the pattern without the dimples since they're the more complicated feature, but still no dice, it completely chokes on the process.

I'm hoping a RAM upgrade will help matters, but I wanted to ask:

Is this the correct method, or is there a less computationally stressful way of doing it?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could provide on the matter!

5 REPLIES

Re: Modeling Sheet Metal with Large Repeated Pattern

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Is there any chance you could send a screenshot or sketch that shows the part?

It is hard to visualize with the description you provided.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Have you tried Pattern Face?  I created a 60 x 60 pattern of a through hole using Pattern Face and it took 25 seconds to complete. NX did raise an alert reporting "The pattern spacing parameters specificed will result in a larger number of instances.  This operation may take considerable time.".

Pattern Feature and the legacy Instance Feature are great for smaller arrays.  Your observations are common for very large arrays.  Imagine you've created 3600 individual fully parametric hole features and each hole has to maintain its position relative to its neighbors versus copy just the faces of a feature and generating a pattern - much less resource intensive.

From the NX10 documentation:

The Pattern Face command differs from the Pattern Feature command in the following ways:

• You can select a set of faces to copy instead of features.
  • The result is a single feature instead of instanced copies of features, so feature creation and editing are faster.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uid:index_modeling:xid867532:id651511:mo...

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'll have to try that next.

I'm a new user to NX, so I'm still trying to adjust to the differences from other CAD software I've used.

Thank you for the suggestion, hopefully it pans out

Experimenter
Experimenter

Sorry, for all intents and purposes visualizing a 60 x 60 pattern of through holes on a flat plate would be sufficient

Phenom
Phenom

By making smaller packets you could reduce loading system computation resources. Check the attached model and you may try to simplify further.  

Due to the file size the part is in a roll back state. Go to the last feature and RMB and select “Make current Feature”

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW