Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying standard PMI notes (enterprise, export, etc.)

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

NX10.0.2

I'm playing with the PMI "specialized" notes (enterprise ID, export control, proprietary, etc.)

So I found the dfa files that define them.

Also, I found a couple posts in UGanswer that say how to use them.

1) The most common solution (edit the dfa files IN the install folder) is NOT

I repeat NOT

I repeat NOT

a valid option.

I am not going to putz with files in the install folder, as MRs and MPs may over-write them.

Also, doing this for 1000+ users, worldwide, EVERY install, BULLETPROOF, tends to be very problematic.

2) Second solution suggested

- define the ENV UGII_KF_USER_CLASS_DIR=${...}\KF\DFA

- copy the dfa file to that folder.

- add overriding_classes.txt file in that folder with text "ug_enterprise_identification.dfa"

I try this and get the following in the syslog:

KF search path used is from the registry, not from UGII_KF_USER_CLASS_DIR

Why are you (Siemens) converting to using the registry (which, again, I have to do for 1000 users individually on their PCs, BULLETPROOF, EVERY TIME) instead of ENV variables (that I can edit ONE place, put on a network drive, and have everyone see it correctly)?  Oh, and by the way, the registry does NOT work in batch mode anyhow!  WOULD YOU PLEASE STOP USING THE @!#^$#%$#!! REGISTRY!

(Are you getting users/comanies telling you to stop using ENVs and use the registry instead?)

3) Tried setting up "menuscript standard folder structure" by defining:

UGII_GROUP_DIR=${...}\KF

(note the .dfa file is in a \dfa\ folder inside \kf\)

Start NX and open a part, get this:

============================================================
Duplicate class 'ug_enterprise_identification_attribute' was found in C:\...\kf\dfa\ug_enterprise_identification.dfa
The Class 'ug_enterprise_identification_attribute' is also defined in C:\...\nx100\ugii\dfa\smart_models\hostlib\ug_enterprise_identification.dfa
------------------------------------------------------------
C:\...\kf\dfa\ug_enterprise_identification.dfa:
(Canonical String Parameter Modifiable)   Company_Name:          "Moog, Inc.";
C:\...\nx100\ugii\dfa\smart_models\hostlib\ug_enterprise_identification.dfa:
(Canonical String Parameter Modifiable)   Company_Name:          "Siemens PLM Software";
The definition in this file will be used instead: C:\...\nx100\ugii\dfa\smart_models\hostlib\ug_enterprise_identification.dfa

I tried looking in the docs & uganswer to solve this, but it appears the only way to edit these is absolutely the WORST way to do it (edit something in the NX install tree).

Has anyone figured out a SCALABLE, ENTERPRISE way to edit these files?

Or should I just Menuscript their menu entries out of existance?

Thanks for any help...Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

1 REPLY

Re: Modifying standard PMI notes (enterprise, export, etc.)

Genius
Genius

Ken_A wrote:

Why are you (Siemens) converting to using the registry (which, again, I have to do for 1000 users individually on their PCs, BULLETPROOF, EVERY TIME) instead of ENV variables (that I can edit ONE place, put on a network drive, and have everyone see it correctly)?  Oh, and by the way, the registry does NOT work in batch mode anyhow!  WOULD YOU PLEASE STOP USING THE @!#^$#%$#!! REGISTRY!

(Are you getting users/comanies telling you to stop using ENVs and use the registry instead?)

I have not looked for a solution to your special problem yet but I strongly want to second that. Siemens please stop making the registry superior to environement variables. I am fighting on this also for VisView and more and more at newer versions of NX (NX10 Licensing!)

This is crap. Please stop this...

regards

Josch