Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Unstable Component Pattern Behavior

Genius
Genius

Hello, I currently have a component pattern that has a count of three and is going in a set direction.  There aren't any constraint errors and everything looks clean.  If I change the count to 4, a big mess is created.  Once I change the count to 4 (before I hit OK), contraint errors now show up in the navigator; but the 4th component looks like it's in the correct location.   If I hit OK to finish the command, the 4th component (that originally showed in the correct location) will temporarily display in the opposite direction of the direction vector and seem to be a random distance away from the pattern.  Once the command is finally done thinking, the 4th component is actually even farther away (actual distance of 1040mm in opposite direction of vector) while the rest of the components are following the original spacing of 45mm.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?  I'm currently using NX 12.0.1.7.  Is it possible that this is just a really buggy version/maintenance pack?  Unfortunately, our IT determines what we use, so I don't have the luxury of updating to a newer version.  

I'll probably end up doing a usual work-around and delete the pattern completely and re-creating it, but I'd like to know what the actual problem is.  Thanks

Update:  I deleted the pattern and created a new one with 4 instead of 3.  After about 5 minutes of thinking, NX finished the command.  Now I probably have about 50 assembly constraint problems shown on screen.  Does anyone have any idea of why there would be a problem with dong a component pattern?  Some of the constaint errors now showing are for components that I think are completely unrelated to the original component that I'm attemting to pattern.  Maybe the next lower level of work around just needs to be to remove the pattern completely and just assemble the same components side by side 4 times.  I don't know what to say.

Another update:  After the previous trouble where those seemingly unrelated (and still seemingly unrelated) assembly constraints appeared after working with the component pattern, I eventually looked at some of those constraints and eventually stumbled across two sets of constraints that were duplicate (not contradicting) of each other.  I deleted those two constraints and the other 50 or so alerts of problems disappeared.  I still don't see how those two constaints related to everything else, but at least the other problems went away.  Looking for a solution to constraint problems is like the "Where's Waldo" searches.  You can eventually hopefully stumble across the issue but it's hidden among all the other alerts.  One is the problem - the other 49 that look like problems are just a result of the one (at least that's what it appears to me).   

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: More Unstable Component Pattern Behavior

Experimenter
Experimenter

The constraint solver for component patterns is broken and unpredictable. Quite often the system will hang at 95% load as the solver chokes on "any" pattern. Siemens should be embarassed that a use cannot relay on a time saver like patterns.

Re: More Unstable Component Pattern Behavior

Genius
Genius

@JerryA_Design, I wish I could disagree with you and give you some info that would magically fix NX, but I can't.  I've used CAD for 20+ years and have seen good and bad things in CAD softwares.  I was excited about learning NX and took a lot of on-line training from Siemens.  NX 10 was clunky, non-user friendly, underdeveloped and unreliable compared to what I've used before, but at least I could decently still get work done. "Work around" was the term and plan I often used to get around the deficiency.

MP2 of NX 12 is just broken.  I can do work, but it's incredibly slow and unreliable.   Others in another forum have stated how bad MP2 is.   Unfortunately, I've heard nothing good from my co-workers.  One complains frequently about the measurement dialog and another came to me and said "we all know it's awful". (his exact words - not mine).

Fortunately, they've said that MP4 fixes the bugs.  If you can get MP4, I'd highly recommend it.  Unfortunately, I've been told by our IT department that we're not getting the update until the second quarter of this year.  At least that's a deadline.  My plan, until then, is to just be apathetic, stare at the screen a lot while I'm waiting for NX to get out of it's fog and count down the days until it gets updated out of this broken MP.  At least there's a deadline...  Have fun.