Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More unstable component pattern behavior - is this just because of NX 12.0.1.7 or just NX?

Legend
Legend

Unfortunately, I still have to deal with NX - 12.0.1.7 until Q2.  I encountered a new error after trying to deal with other flaky assembly constraint behavior.  This time, I tried to just delete a component pattern and I got this message:  "UDPATE/DELET has gone through too many iterations."  Is this just a 12.0.1.7 that I have to fight until we can finally get rid of 12.0.1.7 and go to a different maintenance pack or is this something else? 

I'm working with arrangements and component patterns.  Is it possible that this is just to complex for NX or is this a 12.0.1.7 thing?  I can't tell.  Similar type operations that I could do effortlessly 10 years ago with CREO are causing NX to freak out.  Hopefully this is just another buggy junk behavor with 12.0.1.7 and not just NX overall.  I'll probably end up killing this session of NX and waste work that I've done and see if it's any better next time.

Any recommendations for dealing with the side effects of having to use 12.0.1.7?  Q2 can't get here fast enough....

31 REPLIES 31

Re: More unstable component pattern behavior - is this just because of NX 12.0.1.7 or just NX?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @s_hightower ,

This might have occurred due to circular dependency, i.e. there might be some components position or contraint which are causing an issue while deleting pattern. Try to find out it, if possible, and apply fixed contraint to culprit component and see if that helps.

Else please contact to GTAC.

Regards,
Samadhan

GTAC | NX Help: NX1102 | NX1202 | NX1847
Please mark post as an "Accepted Solution", if it answers your question/is more helpful!

Re: More unstable component pattern behavior - is this just because of NX 12.0.1.7 or just NX?

Legend
Legend

Hello, @SamadhanGaikwad .   Can you please recommend how I would find the circular dependancies?   Unfortunately, how the Assembly constraints are setup in NX, I (and others) have a very cumbersome time trying to deal with them.  The assembly constraint navigator can be completely error free and then I'll just add one constraint.  All of a sudden, I'll have more than 100 errors in the constraint navigator.  I then have to just do Undo, stumble across the one offending constraint or try to play Sherlock Holmes and waste a lot of time while I try to find the one problem out of the 100 or more showing in the tree. 

How can I find a circular dependancy when the constraint navigator does this?  Any recommendations would be very helpful.  Thanks

(Looking back: when I first got to this company and started using NX, I quietly scoffed at other co-workers and even at an outside design company who would just kind of place components without having them completely constained.  It was awful trying to modify their work because hardly anything was constrained.  Components would fly across the screen when I would try to assemble a component next to an existing component. I'd have to position/constrain the existing components just so I could put new ones by them.

I was used to a CAD software that had easy and user friendly assembly constraints, so I could not understand why people would just drop their components in place.  After fighting the constraints for 3 years, I now understand why they were doing what they were doing.  Maybe their plan was correct:  Get it to look right and pray you never have to change it.)  Hopefully there's improvements after 12.01.7.

Siemens Phenom
Have you used component being pattered to constrain?
Is there dependency of patterned components to other constraints?

Regards,
Samadhan

Please mark post as an "Accepted Solution", if it answers your question/is more helpful!

Legend
Legend

@SamadhanGaikwad ,  I have "used component being patterned to constrain" in that I have a component that I patterned and then I have positioned another component next to the last component in that pattern.  I constrained to it to get the new component to line up with it.  Is that a problem doing that in NX?  Thanks

Legend
Legend

@SamadhanGaikwad is there a way for me to purge constraints that aren't needed/used any more?  I've replaced components and although the components were replaced, the constraints had "!" by them.  I'm not sure why they didnt' update.  With that and with other updates, I see where that some constraints are still in the constraint navigator, but have the "!" indicator with them.  From using a different CAD software, I never saw anything like this.  I would say this behavior isn't just with 12.0.1.7 because I saw it with NX 9, as well.  Seems kind of fragile.

Siemens Phenom
Yes. It could be. Position it with fixed constraint check. If not again remove next constraint added and check.

Regards,
Samadhan

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

As a long time UG/NX user, I try to avoid assembly constraints and wave links as much as possible. They tend to cause more problems than they solve (for me, at least).

Legend
Legend

That sounds very time consuming and tedious.  I was hoping that there would be a "purge" button or something to remove constraints that weren't being used.

Legend
Legend

Hi, @cowski1.  How do you do that with the wave links?  That would be great if I could get more direction with that.

As mentioned, I went from a CAD software that used assembly constraint effortlessly and smoothly.  It worked great.   When I switched to NX, I took a lot of the Siemens on-line courses.  That looked OK, but then I looked at the assemblies that co-workers were using.  They didn't use wave links at all (not saying that's right, at all). 

I think they just saw how bad the NX assembly constraints are and just settled for getting things to look good.  That's an awful approach, too, but at least they didn't have to fight assembly constraints.  That reminds me of trying to untangle spaghetti with extra sauce on it without getting messy (while wearing a white shirt).  it doesn't work very well.