Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move parts from assembly into subassembly

Genius
Genius

Hello,

To clean up an assembly I've made (which has ended up with many repeated components which would be better off as a subassembly), I wish to move components into a subassembly, i.e. a lower level assembly.

I have no idea how to do this and have found no such tool using either the NX command search or Google, but based on the abilities of my old CAD package (SolidWorks) I can only assume that it is capable. Does anyone have any advice? Alternatively if you have any advice on cleaning up assemblies, e.g. grouping into folders, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Alex

If you have any questions please let me know.

EDIT: below is an example of an assembly navigator tree that I wish to clean up. I know I can 'pack' these repeated components but this doesn't stick between saves and to be honest is only slightly useful.

Capture.JPG

8 REPLIES

Re: Move parts from assembly into subassembly

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

You can drag and drop to reorganize in the Assembly Navigator.  Create an empty assemby at the desired level and drag the components into that.

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

If you're creating a brand new subassembly, you can move components into the subassembly as it is created as shown in the following video.

(view in My Videos)

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Like the rest is telling just use create new component When the top assy is work part. And then just darg and drop the component into the new part. NX automatticly changed the component into a assy (sub assy)

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Phenom
Phenom

If you have too many mates, external interlinks and patterns in this assembly and would like to keep them intact, I would do a “Create New Parent” on top of this assembly (Which is now becoming a subassembly) and drag and drop the few components out from the new subassembly to the new parent assembly.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Genius
Genius

Thanks for taking the time to do that video Kevin, very helpful!

Thanks,

Alex

Experimenter
Experimenter

My question is simmilar but what about components (sketches and solids) inside those parts that need to be moved out of the parent part into a child part?

I often create new bodies in an assembly and realise that some of the bodies could be better re-used if placed in a separate part. How does one then move only some of the features to a new part?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@PaulNaude01 wrote:

My question is simmilar but what about components (sketches and solids) inside those parts that need to be moved out of the parent part into a child part?

I often create new bodies in an assembly and realise that some of the bodies could be better re-used if placed in a separate part. How does one then move only some of the features to a new part?

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/12/nx_help/#uid:xid1128417:index_assemblies:id665941...

Using the 'create new component' command will allow you to select a body and it will export the body and the defining geometry to a new part. It has options to delete the original geometry and add the new part as a component to your assembly.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks! That makes sense.