Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

The certifications for NX don't list Windows 10 as a certified operating system, but it hasn't been updated since 2014.  Has anyone upgraded and ran NX 10 on it.  Are there any bugs or reasons I shouldn't go ahead and upgrade?  Thanks for the help.

9 REPLIES

Re: Moving to Windows 10

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

There has been no major NX release since Windows 10 was released. I don't think the developers certify NX for any Windows release that wasn't available to them during NX development (i.e. I don't think any current versions of NX will be retroactively 'certified' for use with Windows 10).

However, that doesn't mean it won't work with Win 10, just that it isn't officially supported. The following thread lists some issues that one user had:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Discussion-Forum/Install-NX-10-in-Windows-...

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I had Windows 7 on my system (HP Zbook 17). I did the upgrade to Windows 10 just after the release.

All the versions of NX I have on it work fine (NX3 right up to NX11 beta).

The only issue I have seen, is I can't get TCVis 11 to install, but that's not an NX issue.

I don't really care about GTAC support for what I run (as I am the equivalent of GTAC for our customers in Oz), but for customers I would recommend being cautious as if we have to send something to GTAC and it isn't replicated in Windows 7, then you're unsupported.

Anthony Galante, Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM
24 versions of NX installed: NX4 to NX12, plus TC11.2

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If it works in Windows 7, why to upgrade?

If it works, why to fix it?

Windows 7 will live for years in business envirommet from now, because big companies have no interest to waste money for Windows upgrade again. They just went from XP to 7 with billions of wasted Euros/Dollars. Money for nothing...

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @Paulski35,

All of the above seem to be right:

@cowski1: No Officially it's not supported, and existing versions will most likely not be, just as in the past with Windows 8. Possibly NX 10.0.3 will be the first version certified, but not sure yet. NX 11.0 most likely will be, but I have not had this confirmed yet.

I believe an update version of the spreadsheet will appear later this week. Not sure what will be in there. But keep an eye out for it.

Like @PhoeNX_Support says... Most parts will probably work just fine. But should issues occur we must be able to reproduce them on Win 7/8 in order to create a PR and send it to development. Otherwise it's just not supported.

And last but not least, as @Hannu says, Do you have a good reason to upgrade to Windows 10? If not just stay on Win 7 until there is a fully certified version of NX where you can go to.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Experimenter
Experimenter

We run NX 9,10,11 Beta on Windows 10. No problems what so ever.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Speaking of Windows 10...

Would I be correct in aasuming I would need Windows 10 Professional to run NX?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Hello @Ken_A,

Since The current certified systems are:
Windows 7 supported versions = Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate.
Windows 8 supported versions = Professional, Enterprise

I would not expect this to be any different for Windows 10

Kind regards,

Dennis
Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Just got the SFB email about this:

SFB-NX-9554  - SUBJECT: Certification of NX 10 on Windows 10

This is to announce the certification of NX10.0.3 on Windows 10 Professional and Enterprise.

Anthony Galante, Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM
24 versions of NX installed: NX4 to NX12, plus TC11.2

Phenom
Phenom

Business will update because at this time the upgrade is free. Later you will need to purchase the upgrade.

Large business with many different automated processess will not be jumping very fast but I know of at least 3 medium businesses that have made the punge..not many issues at all.