cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-level parts list - nested assemblies

Experimenter
Experimenter

Good morning all,

I attached three images showing example assembly structure in assembly navigator and a parts list. We're trying to use nested assemblies functionality in parts list to create multi-level / tooling parts list. (Select qty column, right click, settings, column, include nested assemblies)

Basically we would like to have single parts list that contains multiple quantity columns, each for a different assembly. It seems like "Nested Assemblies" functionality is just the thing, but we're not able to set it so that each qty column only lists quantities for selected assembly components, but not its sub-assembly components.

As you can see below "assy0" contains qty 1 of assy1, qty 2 of assy2, and qty 3 of assy3 - we would like to see only those quantities in the "QTY ASSY0" column. We can achieve that by selecting "Top Level Only" in "Edit Levels" of the parts list, but then we're missing the quantities for nested assemblies...

Is there a way to set "Top Level Only" for each column separately to get output like in the third image?

Thanks for any help...

"Top Level Only" off"Top Level Only" off"Top level only" on"Top level only" on

What we want (created in paint)What we want (created in paint)

6 REPLIES

Re: Multi-level parts list - nested assemblies

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Voytek,

It appears that your options are:

• Create 2 Parts Lists, or
  • Manually edit the cells in your original Parts List (i.e., remove the '$~Q" syntax).

By default Parts Lists have an option to highlight a cell with a manual edit, you can turn this off by editing the Parts List Settings and unchecking "Highlight" in the 'Manual Text' section.

The functionality requested in ER 6063309 is very similar to your requirements, so consider contacting your local GTAC office to have yourself added to that ER.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for looking into it.

It looks like ER 6063309 started "nested assemblies" functionality.

For reference my IR# is 8992011

PartsList.PNG

Siemens Phenom

Hi @Voytek,

I believe this issue (with nested assemblies returning incorrect quantities) was captured in ER 6945857.  The same workarounds apply as before.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

Yes, the workaround you mentioned works (multiple parts lists), it just splits related assemblies into multiple sheets, where it's sometimes nicer to keep it on one sheet when they're simple enough.

We also have another workaround where we add each assembly and it's sub-assemblies directly to the drawing file and select them from over there instead of from the master assembly. If we do it like that and select "top level only" it works as we want it, but it multiplies the amount of assemblies in drawing file which slows things down on big assemblies.

So yeah... This doesn't shut us down and actually works much better than what we did before (doing the parts lists manually in excell), but still it would be bit simpler / user friendly if nested assemblies functioned as intended.

Thanks.

Experimenter
Experimenter

BTW I was able to find ER6063309 in solution center, but not ER6945857. Am I looking in the wrong place?

https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?dt=&rows=20&sort=desc&ds=&de=&pd=...

Siemens Phenom
You found ER 6063309 because the issue was originally reported as a PR. PR are included in Solution Center so that customers with the same issue are able to determine the resolution (if the PR has been closed) or reference an existing PR when contacting GTAC or their VAR. IR's that are converted to ER's are not published in Solution Center.

Regards, Ben