Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple geometric constraints at once

Phenom
Phenom

NX 9.0

Back in the day, you could hold the CTRL button while applying geometric constraints in a sketh, and apply more than one at once.

I thought you still could, but with some variation of the CTRL button usage, but I can't recall how, or if it was wishful thinking.  Is this possible?

Thanks,

Dave

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
12 REPLIES

Re: Multiple geometric constraints at once

Legend
Legend

You could select the lines and or arcs and the quick pick box comes up with all of the possible constraints.  If you are using the constraint box you can use a laso or window to select your sketch curves.  This still does not answer your control key questions.  Work around to your older ways.

Phenom
Phenom

I was thinking that with the current constraint tool, you picked curve1, then held CTRL, then select curve2, and that would allow you to pick two constraints (colinear and equal length for example), or something to that effect.

-Dave

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend
Right now we cannot apply two sketch constraints at the same time, I am also trying this thing some months ago but I cannot find a way to do it with the current constraint tool.
I just apply the constraints one by one and accept it. Smiley Happy

Regards,
Sen

Phenom
Phenom

That's what I have been doing also, but I see this as a regression in the software.

-Dave

Phenom
Phenom

It appears that this was removed in NX 8.5

• Adding Multiple Constraints to Multiple Objects
  • Symptom
  • ---------------
    In NX7.5 sketcher you could hold the Ctrl button click on two sketch lines.  
    When the constraint popup displayed; you could select two constraints for the 
    lines.	Does this functionality still exist in NX8.5?
  • Hardware/Software Configuration
  • All Supported Platforms
    Unigraphics NX v8.5 and higher
  • Solution
  • The dialog was changed in NX 8.5 to remain open until you close it.  This 
    allows you to place all needed constraints.  In keeping consistent with all 
    other dialogs, it is now necessary to reselect the objects for each constraint.

-Dave

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes, that change was by design.  It was felt that between the use of the object-action approach (the on-screen list of constraints when you select curves) and the need to have consistent dialog behavior when using the explicit constraint dialog approach, that the ability to assign more than one type of constraint during a single operation was felt to of marginal value used by, let alone even know by, very few users.

If anyone feels that this decision was not correct and you can make a case for providing this additional behavior, being able to assign multiple constraint types during a single operation, please feel free to contact GTAC and have them open an ER to this effect.  Note that while some may say this is a regression, since it was the result of decisions made during the redesign of a major function, and since the function is operating exactly as intended, it does not meet the criteria as a quality issue, but rather as an enhancement if any changes are to be made.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Phenom
Phenom

My ER 7384119.  After hearing John's reason, I don't expect the ER to have much traction, and personally I've gotten used to not being able to do it, but for my coworker I submitted it.

Thanks,

Dave

-Dave

Legend
Legend

It can be useful to "restore" a selection;

e.g. you want to make 20 lines "horizontal" and "construction line" at the same time.

After applying the first constrain you can then click restore and go for the next constrain because your previous item selection is then reselected in one click.

2015-05-11_04.gif

2015-05-11_05.gif

In the given context that little trick could also be very handy and timesaving.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Experimenter
Experimenter
I have not experienced Restore working in NX 10, and I could not find anything in the Help docs... do you have any videos or anything for this, or is this Restore functionality not in NX 10?