Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple license files on one server ?

Genius
Genius

hello,

I'm curious to know if anyone is running multiple license files, from different vendors, on one license server.

I don't mean running multiple license servers (one for each vendor) on the same machine (which is what we are doing now), or merging different license files into one, but having one server (service) running different license files coming from differerent vendors.

According to Flexera docs this should be possible but it is unclear whether this is supported by Siemens or not. I searched UGanswer for more information but what I found is very little and pretty confused.

Has anyone tried that ?

5 REPLIES

Re: Multiple license files on one server ?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

IIRC one of our license server installs tried to do that (we have 40+ Flex services).

IMHO, that is a BAD IDEA.

If I understand correctly, they would all use the same lmgrd.exe

But what if one of the vendor daemons needs lmgrd.exe version "X", and another one needs version "Y"?

By keeping them completely independent, they don't interact.

One of the banes of my existence is license servers based on Sentinel (although they have gotten a lot better).  As they ALL share the SAME software, sometimes I have upgraded the license server for application "A", which then broke application "B"

We serve licensing for 70+ applications from 3 servers.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius

> Ken_A wrote:

> IIRC one of our license server installs tried to do that (we have 40+ Flex services).

> IMHO, that is a BAD IDEA.

> If I understand correctly, they would all use the same lmgrd.exe

correct

> But what if one of the vendor daemons needs lmgrd.exe version "X", and another one needs version "Y"?

that was exactly my concern.  Flex docs says that in order to avoid conflicts one should always install the newest version of everything ... 

> By keeping them completely independent, they don't interact.

IIRC opening the LMTool of one vendor you see listed the other vendors as well, so there seems to be some sort of interaction, actually

> We serve licensing for 70+ applications from 3 servers.

you will concede that running 40+ instances of the same software might raise the legitimate wish for a better solution ... there must be one !  :-)

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Well, I'd rather have 40+ instances of the "same" software, than to upgrade one and "Ooops!" now 39 other programs NO LONGER WORK because of a license server issue (maybe vendor "X" doesn't actually use the "latest" lmgrd.exe/  or whatever).

Users tend not to like that...

It may not be the "most efficient", it may not be "best", but it is *far* "safer", and the servers don't seem to have any problems with memory or CPU utilization or anything, so I have NO desire to experiment.

The daemons don't interact (lmgrd.exe + vendor daemon).  LMtool.exe is not lmgrd.exe.

And (again, I'm getting old, so this is IIRC) I have had issues using the LMTool included with one vendors license server to manage a daemon for another vendors software that was older/newer.  So I use the LMtool included with the vendors software to manage that license service.

YMMV ;-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I've done this for many years.  There are a number of ways to address it including installing and maintaining each vendor's Flex licensing separately or having one single Flex implementation that will manage licenses from multiple vendors.

Siemens PLM and the other vendors do not claim support for an all-in-one set up, but it is doable.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Maurizio:

As @LarryCarpenter said, SPLM does not explicitly claim support for this one way or the other, but rather relies on what FlexLM supports since that's their tool.

In fact, years back, before we came out with Common Licensing, if you used multple products from us, this is often how customers would deploy, with a unique vendor daemon for NX, Tc, Metaphase, Vis, etc...

In my own case, I've run 3 or 4 at a time on my own laptop and have seen customers run 4 or 5 (have not seen the very large case like @Ken_A mentions).

I've also had customers do it @Ken_A 's way, keeping them seperate. One, who has 5000+ users, runs multiple license servers with only a few phyical machines. They run multple VM's on each physical machine, with VM being a distinct License Server. They control these globally from a central location.

I blieve that, other than admin effort and performance issues mentioned already, the main limitation that FlexLM applies is that you can only run 1 of each vendor daemon on a given machine (VM or physical).

So different ways to get a configuration that works best for you.

But short answer: yes, this works, if you need it.

HTH.

Pat