Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX 10.0.3.5 MP3 Most Crash Prone Version of NX EVER!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have been using NX/Unigraphics for almost 20 years now. I have to say that NX 10.0.3.5 MP 3 is by far the most crash prone version I have ever experienced! I have seen it crash while just rotating a model on the screen. I have seen it crash while trying to modify a blend in a variable blend radius. I have seen it crash while trying to save a file! This is totally ridiculous for a piece of software that costs well over 20k per seat! Has anyone else seen this many problems with NX 10? I am not the only user in our organization that has seen this either.

Michael Pinto | Designer
NX11|Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit|HP Z-Book Studio G3 Workstation|Intel XEON E3-1505M|32GB Ram|Nvidia Quadro M1000m w/4GB
7 REPLIES

Re: NX 10.0.3.5 MP3 Most Crash Prone Version of NX EVER!

@nikemike have you looked at the log files after the crashes? 

Is there a common error?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have not had time to dive into NX log files as I am in the middle of a project right now. I did notice that when I opened the Task Manager in Windows I noticed that NX 10 has a memory leak as in the software continuously pulls resources even when the software window is minimized and nothing is being done in the software. I believe there was a problem with this in a past version of NX that was fixed. It appears to be an issue again. I will keep an eye on this memory leak to see if it correlates to the crashes that I am seeing.

Michael Pinto | Designer
NX11|Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit|HP Z-Book Studio G3 Workstation|Intel XEON E3-1505M|32GB Ram|Nvidia Quadro M1000m w/4GB

Legend
Legend
MP3 seemed to fix my crashing issues.
Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.1 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:nothing.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have since installed NX 10.0.3.5 MP4 and have not experienced the crashing issues in my particular parts. The wierd thing that I did experience with my parts in MP4 was a problem with the transition from "Shaded" View to "True Shading" view mode. On a particular view that I have in all of my parts (it's a standard view we create in our parts) for whatever reason when I tried to switch from "Shaded" view mode to "True Shading" view mode, NX would hang for a very long time and eventually come back but my parts would not show up on screen, the screen would be just empty space. I have since deleted that particular modeling view and recreated it without the issue reappearing. Strange to say the least.

Michael Pinto | Designer

Experimenter
Experimenter

I've had similar issues.  I went to MP5 a short while ago with great hopes, but this morning it's back to "internal memory error" or "NX has stopped working".  I've been an NX, UG user for about 15+ years, and I can almost count on one hand how many times it has crashed.  Lately not the case unfortunately.  I know I should be armed with all kinds of "log" data, but I just don't have the time for that.  My existance in the workforce depends on NX working perfectly.  We certainly pay for that.  I have SolidWorks, which I hate, but it doesn't seem to crash on the same workstation.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

toby22,

I have installed the recently release Maintenance Pack 5 and I haven't seen any crashes or memory access violations as of yet. Though that isn't to say that I won't see them (knock on wood). The problem with each user's experience in seeing these types of crashes is that it is very difficult to pinpoint exactly what caused it. I totally agree that for what we pay for NX software these types of bugs should be better rooted out before releasing updates to the users. I am like you where I have very limited time to break off from what I am doing whenever one of these memory access violations or crashes happens to view log files and get on the phone with a Siemens support technician. I can only hope that NX 11 will be less buggy when it gets released.

Michael Pinto | Designer

Pioneer
Pioneer

I've had the same "internal memory problems" in MP8, I also discovered that the memory leaks, in my case, were due to borrowing a license to work offsite. It ate up all my available RAM and rendered the PC useless, then NX just crashed and closed. I reported this to GTAC and they say it will be fixed in NX12....why can't they just release an MR or MP that addresses the issue and be done.

Organization, an essential part of Productivity !

Production: NX10.0.3 MP13, VERICUT 8.0
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX11.0, iMachining 2.0, Adaptive Roughing