Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX 10 - Drafting preference source

Legend
Legend

Hello everyone

Sorry if my question is a dumb one. I'm checking side by side drafting preferences in a released drawing in both NX8.5 and NX10 and I'm very surprised they are not matching. I thought the settings used for the drawing in 8.5 were just going to be transfered to NX10 but that seems not to be the case. NX 10 pref looks like reset to the shipped values.

So, where does NX10 get the drafting preferences by default? when I make changes in my customer defaults, they are not transfered directly the drafting pref. This is problematic because when we will need to update existing parts, we will have to open the draft pref first, reload settings from customer defaults every single time. That's why I would like to know from where the initial settings are coming from.

Thanks in advance

Laurenj.

NX8.5, NX10(Testing), TC10

6 REPLIES 6

Re: NX 10 - Drafting preference source

Phenom
Phenom

Look at your NX Drafting Template.  This is named in your PAX file.  The preference are saved in this file.

For Existing Files you probably have to load from customer defaults if there was changes from what you are seeing. 

Legend
Legend

Thanks sdeters

The problem is with existing files. I was expecting them to have their preferences to at least stay as defined in NX8.5 but is not the case.

4-drafting preferences NX8.5.PNG

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Note that (at some point) NX went from 3 line widths to 9.

There are ways (ENV variables or, in NX10, customer defaults) for how to map the old widths to the new.

Perhaps you are not set up correctly?

Note we're going from NX7.5 to NX10, so I'm not sure when the extra widths were added.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Legend
Legend

Hi Ken

I spent one hour with GTAC this morning and they are trying to reproduce the issue. It's working just fine when the files are created in NX8.5 standalone and then opened in NX10. Something is problably happening when TC get into the mix.

Laurenj

Builder
Builder

We encountered this difference in the line weights when we upgraded to NX9 from NX7.5.

When we open an existing drawing in NX9, the line weights as previously specified in that drawing are honoured.  If we create a new drawing, or a new view in an existing drawing, the new line weights are used.  What we've discovered is that the line weights we thought we were using in NX7.5 (and earlier) actually weren't the weights being used.  If we use a 0.25mm line as our "normal", it displays too thick on screen, but it is ideal when we plot.  We've had to override the plot settings, and it took a certain amount of trial and error.

In broad terms, our customer defaults were brought forward into NX9 unchanged, but we still had to go through and check them.  The most frustrating thing is that the drafting preferences aren't displayed in the same sequence as the drafting customer defaults - in many cases, they even have different names, which makes it virtually impossible to be certain that you are comparing the same thing.

NX9.0.3 MP06, MP06+hotfix (evaluating NX9.0.3 MP09) | TCUA9.1.2.8
Everything from Z800 12Gb RAM FX4800 to Z820 128Gb RAM Quadro K5000 to Z440 32Gb RAM Quadro K4200

Legend
Legend

Thanks for your input Steve.

Following Ken suggestion about line widths change, I tumbled upon the correct settings (Gateway, Line widths and then Conversion). I took me a while because our site standard was not up to date in respect to our templates. But still, it doesn't explained why existing drawing drafting preferences are not preserved in NX10 (waiting answer from GTAC).

We also use different settings for plotting and PDF export. These settings where defined when we switched from 8 to 8.5.

Despite the horror I had to go through to map our 8.5 customer defaults to 10, I have to admit that 10 is more consistent and logically organized. 

Laurenj.