Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX 10 Memory Utilization

Experimenter
Experimenter

My system is running an Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50 GHz with 32 GB of RAM. My question pertains to the amount of memory that NX utilizes. I am currently work in models that are relatively complex but nothing crazy. Once the model is open in NX, the memory usage idles at around 8 or 9 GB and will work fine until I try to do some more complex functions and then NX will freeze at around 13 GB and not climb any higher. I do have other various windows open during this but NX is by far the largest user of memory. Is there any way that I can increase the amount of memory that NX draws in order to increase its speed? Or is there another limiting factor to NX's speed?

4 REPLIES

Re: NX 10 Memory Utilization

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

How are you determining how much memory that NX is using?  Is it from the Windows Task Manager or are you looking at the details from the System Information page found at Help -> About NX?

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter

I was determining my memory usage through Windows Task Manager to get those numbers. If I look at the details from the System Information page then it says Maximum Memory Allocated: 2418 Mb, Currently Allocated: 1742 Mb (30755 Mb possible maximum). 

Is there a way that I can increase my allocation or is that something that won't necessarily improve my system performance?

Thanks,

Luke

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Not that I'm aware of.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

While you can change the affinity and priority of a process in Windows you cannot change the amount of memory allocated to an application.  Perhaps the 13GB of RAM allocated is sufficient for the functions you're using in NX and that it just appears to have peaked, yet the processor is just cranking away completing your complex function and does not need any more RAM.  Does 13GB appear to consistent across NX sessions?

I had originally posted:

If your system has multiple CPU's that support hyperthreading you can enable the following environment variable to improve the performance of some operations in NX:

UGII_SMP_ENABLE=1

Since NX8, this variable is enabled by default.  You can read more about it here:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/release_notes/#uid:id744507

Thank you Dennis de Brouwer for pointing this out to me.