Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX 10 - assembly constraints

Genius
Genius

Hello, Whenever I am trying to assembly a part into an assembly and I select a datum plane for Touch/Align, it seems that I almost always have to select Reverse Last Constraint after selecting the datum planes in the part and the assembly. It seems like the assembled part almost always goes into the assembly opposite of how I want it to be.  Is there a way to change a setting or do something so that I don't have to use the Reverse Last Constraint?  Thanks

5 REPLIES

Re: NX 10 - assembly constraints

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Are you using datum plane in the assembly and the component you are adding?  You stated you are using Touch/Align, what Orientation setting are you using?

Genius
Genius

Yes, I was using the datum plane in the assembly and the part I'm  trying to assemble.  As far as the Orientation, I just had it as Prefer Touch.  

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Check the datum plane orientation directions.  For Touch they will point at each other, for align they will point in the same direction.  Does this help?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you are using "touch" or "prefer touch" and always need to reverse the constraint, use "align" instead.

The touch and align options work based on the normal direction of the objects chosen. The "touch" option will orient one of the objects so that the normal vectors point toward each other (opposite directions), the "align" option will orient the objects so that the normal vectors point in the same direction.

Genius
Genius

Thanks!  That's exactly what I needed.  Much appreciated.