Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX 10 visible thread

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi

yet another nx question that I don't seem to find in the internet is how to turn on cosmetic threads in assembly environment in the way that they are displayed as "wrapped image". Good example is SolidWorks where you have checkbox some sort of shading from software options. Is there similar option in NX and where could it be located?

Best Regards

GenericTool

3 REPLIES

Re: NX 10 visible thread

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There is no 'automatic' support for something like this.  You have to apply a 'texture' representing so-called 'wrapped threads' for rendering purposes.  In the past, I always just created the actual modeled threads since they will always look more realistic and if they is the final goal, having a TRUE photo-realistic images, then there is nothing that replaces the actual geometry that you're attempting to render.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter
It wouldn't even have to be a texture. SolidEdge can also show a color on the faces that have an external thread.

How am I supposed to see in an assembly if the threaded bolt has enough thread left to fit in the threaded hole? If there were a better way than the dashed lines which usually lie inside the bodies, it would only be a quick look. If enough of the colored face is visible above the hole, I'm good. If not - bolt with longer thread.

How do you check your assemblies and threads?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

One thing I have seen is that when people model a bolt, they split the cylindrical surface at the end of the full thread, and color the threaded part a different color.

Other options are a slightly reduced diameter for the threaded section or put a "notch" where the thread ends.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
Apparently I've turned into a gearhead