Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX 11 release?

Genius
Genius
Thanks for your answer.
Wow, August is already summer 2016 - so 1.5 years after NX 10. Isn't a yearly release cycle normal for NX? Are there so much big chances (or big problems?) as an explanation for the unusual long time?
We won't switch because we switched in January to NX10 already.
Unfortunately I am way too far away to attend at PLM Connections in USA. I will attend a local Event here in May/June.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Josch,

Actually we have been moving towards a longer release cycle over the recent releases (15 - 18 months) for a number of reasons, one primary one being that customers could not keep up with yearly releases, and we kept hearing from users at the various user events that we shouldn't keep bombarding them with "next release".

So, I would not imply there are any major problems in the release because of the timing.  Of course there are quite a few really cool things we've worked on, which I am sure you will get to see at your local event.

But, we are constantly pushing to make sure that the new releases of NX are delivered with increasingly higher quality.  The goal for us is to get to a point where every user is happy deploying a ".0" release.

Regards

Paul

Genius
Genius

Hello,

for us the yearly releases were OK because we try to skip several releases :-)

So if NX gets a major release in every 18 months and we skip at least one release we have to wait 3 years for a new major release to install :-)

Have you ever thought of "rolling releases"? (just curios)

The last sentence is a really big goal :-)

Regards,

Josch

Siemens Legend

Well our hope is that as we go forward we can show you enough value in each release so you don't skip releases (unless you have a phobia about odd numbers) :-) (an equally big goal)

I'm not the right person to comment on software development methods, but I think you are spot on when you say that a rolling release would be a big task, especially with a product the size of NX.

Paul

Siemens Legend

What is a "rolling release" ?

and how would it benefit the users ?

Regards,

Tomas

Genius
Genius
It seems to be funny but we had better experience with the even numbers.

Genius
Genius
a rolling release means, that there are no packages each year but you can always get a current snapshot. As soon as some function goes stable it will be in the stable branch.

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

any update on the release?

Our team is planning to host a seminar, "product launch for NX 11" and we need to plan this ahead.

Still spring of 2016?

Thanks,

~Sen

Genius
Genius
the last answer was August - so more summer and maybe fall...

Siemens Legend

Yes, early August is the shipment date.

Sen, have a talk with your channel team and they can keep you updated about our internal training plans etc.

Regards

Paul