Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

NX 12 Design Features labeled (Legacy)

Creator
Creator

Hi experts

I migrated from NX8.5 to NX12 and I am wondering to find standard design features (e.g. Boss, Pad, Pocket, etc) labeled as (Legacy); see Customize --> Commands --> Categories --> Design Feature

What does this mean. Am I supposed to use different features rather?

Thanks for your comments

6 REPLIES 6

Re: NX 12 Design Features labeled (Legacy)

Genius
Genius

Hi, this means that these functions are not used anymore as a part of standard NX functions, but still have to be integrated because of legacy data such as in your case. You can still edit these features using the old commands.

Most people working with newer versions of NX use the extrude command instead of the old ones because of it's internal sketch properties which makes modifications a lot more easy to handle.

I would suggest forgetting the legacy features and using new ones.

There is also a command called "Renew Feature" which can bring your old features of the same type (extrude, blend, hole...) to the latest version, meaning the menu dialog of the feature has more options that were added by later NX versions. This does not however work with Legacy features.

Creator
Creator

Thank you for this explanation.

That's what I thought. But why should I draw a sketch to extrud a circular or rectangular Pad or Boss ?
Anyways I think the "Legacy" features are in some contexts still more efficient.

Regards

Klaus

Genius
Genius

There was a lot of discussion about this ever since it was introduced with NX 10, or 11, I'm not sure exactly. Designers that are used to the old features will always say those are better, while new ones find them outdated and complicated to use so they prefer the new ways. Anyway, I think Siemens will not throw them out completely any time soon, so you are welcome to continue using them.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Klaus,

My understanding could be misplaced but already there were 2/3 commands to achieve the same results. For pad and boss...either one can use old legacy commands (PAD/BOSS) or they can use extrude or infact they can simply use REUSE LIBRARY to drag and drop the feature (and infact more intelligence can be put in a single REUSE dialog box...for instance you can embede a design check or use logical expressions top control the design values.).

Legacy commands are good but i guess they stop short of adding more intelligence to the feature.

Best Regards

Kapil

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
You could also create a UDF that contains "smarter" features like Sketch, Extrude and so forth to create the boss you want. If you create it correctly, it is a simple drag and drop. Is that what you meant by REUSE LIBRARY @kapilsharma?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Philip,

Yes you can use a UDF also. Besides this you can find these design features in the reuse library resource ....

reuse_boss.jpgBest Regards

Kapil