Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX 12 Measure

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

@Lars wrote:

@BenBroad, Can we change NX a little so that te basic info of a selected object is displayed in the botom line.... This without being in a measurement commant. In SW this saves a lot of time........ (please see attachment)

Hi @Lars 

Please contact your local GTAC office and request that they open an ER for your suggestion.  Mention the ER# in the forum so that others can reference it should they wish to add themselves to your ER.

Regards, Ben

Highlighted

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@FLehn --

Good eye!  This is actually a pretty useful thing, and that's why we're adding it in NX 1872.  :-)

It comes down to needing TWO reference objects -- an object and a direction.  (And it turns out there are a few different cases like this where you want two reference objects.)

Anyway, it's going to look a lot like this:

2019-05-20_14-40-27.png

That 1-2 selection (highlighted with the red box) is only visible when you're in this "From Reference Object" mode.  And as you might expect, we'll use those first two selected objects as the references -- and they can be in any order:

2019-05-20_14-48-14.png

One more thing here...  Without changing anything else, you can also reselect ONLY the vector and the rest of the measurements will update for you:

2019-05-20_14-49-10.png

Pretty cool.  And useful, we think.

Does that help?

Like with NX 1847, As we get to the actual release date here in a few weeks, I'll put out another series of videos explaining the Measure enhancements in NX 1872.  We've been watching this forum, and you're going to see a bunch of very familiar topics in that list.  There are some other nuances around projected measurements that we think you're going to love. 

</shameless_plug_for_continuous_release>    :-D

Thanks!

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

Legend
Legend

Hello @TaylorAnderson ,

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer, this is very nice and interesting !

I've been able to reproduce it on NX beta.

What I'm not sure is that I do have the "2 references" option in Nx1863 and I'm able to reproduce what you show. I did not understand the "2 references" option before that's why I did not get what I expected. Has this been added since Nx1847 or maybe it's been there but just not talked about ?

In any case, thanks a lot !

Best regards,

Frédéric.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @FLehn ,

for me is just present this implementation without attending NX1872.

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Has anyone been able to duplicate the measurment results showing on active work layer issue?

-change your active view so that it doesn't show some layer, layer 100 for example.

-set your active work layer to that layer (100 in this case)

**if you now create some geometry (curve for example) and you don't see it, then you have this example set up correctly**

-now measure something, do you see your results?

-if not, now change your view to show the layer you previously hid (100)

-repeate the mesurment, do yo usee your results?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Mystic97z --

Are you talking about turning off visibility for a layer with "Layer Visible in View" and then making that layer the Work Layer?

Can I ask a simple question?  Why on earth would you do that?  :-)

In this state, any new geometry will not be visible -- not just measurements.  Try creating a new block or a new sphere in this mode, and you'll see very little happening. :-)

I'm genuinely curious why you would want to use "Layer Visible in View" within the Modeling environment.  Can you help me understand the underlying workflow here?  Why not just use the regular Layer tools to show/hide the layer?  (This would automatically restore visibility when you change the work layer.)

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I agree the way I explained it doesn’t make sense I was trying to give easy instructions for someone else to test it.
We release our models with views setup so that when someone opens up the model they can go through the views and see the design intent with different pmi and layers showing in different views.
For example if my model was a car, I might put the wheels on layer 1, the glass on layer 2, body panels on layer 3, engine on layer 4 and so on.
Then I’d have views named
“Wheels” and “engine” and inside those views I’d hide all layers that weren’t the wheels or engine.
The problem is if the wheels view only shows the layers that have wheel geometry and the engine view only shows layers with engine geometry, then when I send my part out for review, or even once the part is released every single user who opens my model and decides to check something will have to be actively changing the work layer each time they change views, and they won’t know what layers are visible without investigating that first.
So the process for everyone who looks at my model is:
“I want to see the diameter of the wheels”
-open wheel view
-measure wheels
-doesn’t see measurement, put some effort in trying to figure out why, then realize the active work layer the model was saved with isn’t visible in this view
-open “layers visible in view” to see what layers are visible
-change the active work layer to a layer that’s visible
-repeat measurement

Then repeat most of those same steps for each and every view.

What am I missing here?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@TaylorAnderson were you able to duplicate this issue?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Taylor, any update on this? 

We have a big round of reviews coming up In August. think for now we'll implement additional steps for our designers, -reserve a layer for the measurment display

-show that layer in every view

-be certain to make that layer the work layer when the model is saved for the last time

Not a big deal to work around this bug, but hopefully it's something on the next rollout/update to correct