Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX 12 Measure

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

I'm loving the new immediate Measure feedback when hovering over objects.  This would have saved me soooo much time back in the day:

Screenshot - 5_29_2018 , 11_09_20 AM.png

92 REPLIES

Re: NX 12 Measure

Legend
Legend
Me too, no need for geometric properties anymore. I prefer that over local radius because you didn't have to click on it.

But now the new measure does it all in one command
Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.1 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:nothing.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Yes the new measurement tool is great!! 

Credits to @TaylorAnderson and his team!

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Thanks, Ruud! :-)
Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

In the new measure command, when I do a radius, I get radius in the box shown below.  Nice. 

Why can't I copy this number to the clipboard using CTRL+C?  I have to right click on this and hit copy.

Siemens Phenom

Good question,

Taylor Anderson

Gears Phenom
But I could copy the value, out of the list window that popped up in the old command. What is the difference between this box and the "list".

Siemens Phenom

sdeters --

In the settings on the Measure dialog, you can still check "Show Results in the Information Window" and it will launch the old big information window for you so you can copy and paste from there.

This new little scene dialog is a lot more compact, its display is configurable (you can choose which measures you actually care to display at any given moment using the settings and/or filters) and it lets you actually DO things (like toggle creation of any particular expression, toggle creation of specific annotations, toggle creation of associative measurement geometry, or create requirement checks, etc.)  It's a scene DIALOG, and not just an informational window now.  Does that make sense?

Though you can always display the infomration window as well, if you prefer.  :-)

Taylor Anderson

Gears Phenom

It makes sense. I understand the positives. Yes it is nice to have these things, new features,

I am so used to the other measure command, been using it for years. 

Why does the list window display not pop up after I select a simple Edge for a radius,  I have to hit apply, or ok for the list window to pop up and the information to be displayed into this list? I have to hit apply after each selection if I want the radius to be sent to the list window.

It would be nice to understand everything this new measure command can do.  I have not looked into the help documents, or I have not saw a video tutorial on this topic or how this new measure command should be used.   I could have missed it.

I did submit a GTAC ticket on this, CTRL+c to copy data out of this box.  PR Number 9176272

Siemens Phenom

>> Why does the list window display not pop up after I select a simple Edge for a radius?

Because the new consolidated command does a lot more than just single-pick edge radii.  ;-)   Honestly, I'm really curious why you still want to use the listing window here, when the number you're after is right there on the screen one MB3 click away.

>>It would be nice to understand everything this new measure command can do.

We will be fleshing out the docs on this very soon, and I'll be posting a series of videos here as well.  But fundamentally, this new command is intended to consolidate all of the functionality of the 15 or so previous associative measurement commands into one.  In doing that, we cannot possibly preserve every nuance of the previous interactions in the old dialogs.  Frankly, we think this one is better -- faster, with far fewer clicks overall (particularly if you're willing to learn and adopt the new methods), far less re-selection, far more user guidance and messages, and far more associative measurements than we've ever had before.

We'll be sure to look at your IR, though frankly it's going to be an ER and not a PR.  The software is not broken here...  you're just wanting to behave in a [good] new way.  Does that make sense?

Taylor Anderson