Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX 12 for Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra

Experimenter
Experimenter

When I do that line, I get

"Error: attempt to add non-widget child "dsm" to parent "ugnx12" which supports only widgets"

I'm no superuser. Am I doing something wrong?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hmm, sounds like you're back to the original poster's error described on their 04-23-2018 04:19 PM post, which seems to indicate that it isn't seeing the flat namespace dynamic library environment setting.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Right! Though that is after installing and just trying the terminal command you prompted me with.

So, I assume you DL and installed as per instructions, and then ran the code as you posted it?

Or if this is incorrect, can you give me the rundown of how you started, e.g.:

1) Installed JRE 8

2) Installed X11

3) installed NX 12.x (whichever you used)

4) added path to ~/.bashrc and ~/.cashrc

5) used the command I posted

I assume you didn't do 4, but...at least if I know how you started until it worked, I might have a shot!

Also, thanks. Hope I am not asking too much by this. I am the one responsible for getting a working README file for our organization for Mac users, so...yay!

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

Sorry, I don't have all that data; and note: I'm currently on Sierra (10.12).

NX12 was working fine for me until I upgraded my X11 from XQuartz X.Y.Z to 2.7.11, which is apparently after the epoch when they changed their library format.  After the XQuartz upgrade (via https://brew.sh/), I was seeing: 

Error: attempt to add non-widget child "dsm" to parent "ugnx12" which supports only widgets

Googling the error, brought me to https://afni.nimh.nih.gov/afni/community/board/read.php?1,155086,155087#msg-155087; and so because I have a bash login shell, I tried their recommended

export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/X11/lib/flat_namespace

and it solved my issue.

Later, I added the following alias to my ~/.profile so I could just issue 'nx12' from whatever directory I was in,

alias nx12='env UGS_LICENSE_BUNDLE=ADVDES DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/X11/lib/flat_namespace:/usr/lib:/Applications/Siemens/NX12.0/ugii /Applications/Siemens/NX12.0/ugii/ugraf'

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Hi,

you might use XQuartz 2.7.9, I've encountered some issues with 2.7.10 and 2.7.11

Experimenter
Experimenter

oh wow!! I finally have an NX screen that loads up after the splash screen! I have another issue to deal with now, but that worked! Thank you!!