Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX 12 license server on Cloud or MS Sharepoint?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm working to set up a NX license server for a small group <10 people. We don't have a server or an internal network/VPN - all files are shared on Microsoft sharepoint and we mostly work on our laptops. We'd like to use NX across multiple employees (one at a time as we only have 1 seat). 

Is there a way to set up  an NX license server without needing to set up an entire network? Would it be possible to have a cloud server host our license such that we can check out the license at any location? Is there a way to host the license on Microsoft Sharepoint? 

Thank you

3 REPLIES

Re: NX 12 license server on Cloud or MS Sharepoint?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Well, as you acces sthe internet you have some sort of internal network.

Are they ALL  laptops, or do you have any desktops?  If you have a desktop (or a laptop that never gets shut down/undocked/taken away) you can set that system as your license server.

As for other options (cloud or sharepoint) I'd suggest contacting GTAC to get the "official" supported options.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for your response Ken.

We have 1 desktop and a few laptops. The desktop is on-campus at a university and has internet access through the university internet, but it can be on 24/hrs. 

However, it is unclear to me how to easily get our remote laptops see that desktop as part of their network as we don't have anything set up right now. I suppose that is more of a question for university IT.

Thank you,

Steve

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Does the university allow/have VPN set up?

Basically, if the client can talk to the server(desktop in your case), it should be able to access licenses.

You can try the "ping" utility (assuming the IT/network admins haven't disabled it somehow, e.g. not allowing it thru routers).  Or map a network drive from the desktop. or whatever.

You may need to specify the FQDN for the license server on the clients (e.g. instead of "28000@desktop", use "28000@desktop.engineeringdepartment.university.edu")

Yes, your best bet would be to contact your IT group - they should be able to help you.

NX licensing (assuming normal install/configuration) will use TCP, port 28000 (+ a group of other ports)

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled