UGII_SITE_DIR=NXinstallpath\topology_optimization

see screenshot:

2019-01-30 09_45_54-NX - Modeling.png

Johannes

Re: NX 1847 Topology optimization

Legend
Legend

Thanks for the answer !

Mmh.. I'm getting the same as when setting "TOPOLOGI_OPTIZATION", NX crashes at launch (while it does not crash when I do not set this variable). There is an error "Attempt to free already free block a ...".

Will look into it.

Best regards,
Frédéric.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

If you set the env-var how you spelled it in this message it won't work! Look carefully at the spelling in previous messages.

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Dell 7530 Precision, Win10, 32GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: [NX12.0.2 MP1]

Legend
Legend
Hi,
To what previous message do you refer ?
Anyway, there's been a problem when I wrote the message.
The variable I tried was the one specified in this topic : https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/How-to-acess-NX-12-Topology-Optimiza...
+ The UGII_SITE_DIR.
Frédéric.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Sorry, I was mistaken, it seems no-one had actually specified the environment variable name.

But you wrote 

I'm getting the same as when setting "TOPOLOGI_OPTIZATION"

The spelling "TOPOLOGI_OPTIZATION" is not correct, it should be TOPOLOGY_OPTIMIZATION.

I should note that I know nothing about the Topology Optimization subject, I just noticed that your spelling in the post was incorrect which could be causing problems if that was what you used for an environment variable name.

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Dell 7530 Precision, Win10, 32GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: [NX12.0.2 MP1]

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

and, of course, you will need to replace the path by your NX Install Path.

So finally, you could end up with a Variable like:
UGII_SITE_DIR=c:\Program Files\Siemens\NX\TOPOLOGY_OPTIMIZATION

or if you want to avoid blanks:

UGII_SITE_DIR=c:\PROGRA~1\Siemens\NX\TOPOLOGY_OPTIMIZATION

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

I'm sorry but that is weak. To set an environment variable to activate a product shipped with NX?

@Johannes_H you set UGII_SITE_DIR=NXinstallpath\topology_optimization, why SITE_DIR? I placed the path in the custom_dirs.dat file for the path to {NX install path}\NX\TOPOLOGY_OPTIMIZATION and it works fine. Of course, you have to have write access to your UGII\menus\custom_dirs.dat file, most don't. 

Where is the documentation and how is a customer supposed to figure this out? No mention of it in the Frustum TopOpt NX Help.pdf to set a variable to "activate" the product. If you were to search NX 1847 (NX12, NX11 as well) help documentation for Topology Optimization, it will lead to much confusion. Help documentation for Topology Optimization refers to Design Sensitivity and Optimization for Simcenter Nastran optimization and nothing at all to do with NX Topology Optimization for Designers.

This is a product that ships with NX core but is treated like a 3rd party plugin. When it was a separate download, a set of instructions was included to guide the user to setup UGII_USER_DIR then to unzip the separate download into the directory pointed to with the variable. 

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Johannes_H,

Thank you for setting me straight - I did not realize the application is now delivered with NX.

@martinm, I was also able to enable the application by adding the path to the Topology Optimization folder to my custom_dirs.dat file.  I've forwarded your concerns regarding the installation and documentation to the Product Manager.

I suspect that it's an update that is going to be available at the end of the week.  Sorry for any confusion.

Regards, Ben

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @martinm,

I mentioned in a previous post, that you can activate it with custom_dirs.dat.

UGII_SITE_DIR is also an option to look for addons in NX, it will look for a startup folder and load the appropriate menu files.

I understand that it is confusing having a piece of addon, that needs to be activated in such a manner, but delivered with the core installation. I agree too - thanks @BenBroad to notify the product manager. But it is better to have the addon updated with subsequent monthly updates than to do it manually...

BTW - you probably know it - it is possible to use a custom_dirs.dat file in a custom folder. However you will have to specify the location by another environment variable (or in the NX Environment file) called "UGII_CUSTOM_DIRECTORY_FILE". This removed the need to have administrator rights to modify the original file.

Regards,

Johannes

Genius
Genius

I agree with @martinm. From my point of view Top.Opt. is not really integrated in NX yet.

1) I expect when I install NX that all packages I've installed are available and I don't have to fiddle around in textfiles.

2) Yes, there is a pdf, but I expect the Help for TO on the Docuserver and when I'm in a dialog and I press F1 I get the appropriate link.

3) What I've observed in NX12 and NX 1847 Beta (currently I cannot check in 1847/2400 due to a license issue): At the NX Start executables from the installation are copied to the user profile and are executed from there. At least I can confirm the copy with 1847/2400 (folder Frustum).

I have understanding that there are exceptions in an experimental/beta phase. But Topology Optimization was already introduced in NX 11, I think. For me it was a bit difficult to get TO started in the first place, not so much because I didn't know to press which buttons. It was an adventure to get the buttons :-)

Starters can get the impression it's not wanted to use that tool...

Thomas