Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX 8.5 How do you make command settings stick?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello everyone

I use the section tool a lot and each time I have to change the settings as you can see in the picture below. I saved the settings as a favorite but everytime I start the tool, the settings are reset to the defaults. What do I have to do to make them stick? I am surely missing something.

00.png

Thanks for your inputs.

Ps. Hope this question hasn't been answered yet here. I searched the forum but no result.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: NX 8.5 How do you make command settings stick?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It works fine for me, using NX 8.5.3.3.  Just make sure that you hit the 'OK' button when you leave the dialog as hitting 'Cancel' will cause any changes to the settings to be lost.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for the quick reply John.

The problem I am facing is those settings are lost when I close NX.

I thought that saving them as favorite was the trick but seems not to be working (As you can see in the picture the tool is labelled My_section_tool).

Laurenj

Siemens Phenom

I suspect that the issue here is that most, but not all, of the 'View Section' settings are saved with the part file, irrespective of whether it was made a 'Favorite' or not.  As for the options that you're having an issue with, like those in the  'Cap Settings' section, it was decided that these should always be retained with the part file, as is also the case with most of the other setting, with only a few exceptions, such as the 'Section Curve Settings'.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks again for a clear and precise answer. This was driving me mad!

Is there a technical reason behind the decision to make these settings retained with the part file or is it more philosophical? In order words, should I bother to submit an ER for that?

Laurenj.

Highlighted

Siemens Phenom

I suspect that it was more philosophical than anything.  For example, if your part file was a simple piece part, then toggling ON permanently the 'Show Interference' option wouldn't make a lot of sense, yet if your file was an Assembly then it might be something that would (note that there's an extra bit of overhead associated with determining how to show an interference if this option was always toggled On)  Same thing with the 'Color Option', if you were working with as Assembly it would be expected that setting it to 'Body Color' would be the norm whereas for a single piece part I might prefer a color that would obviously not be the same as the body so as to make it easier to see which are 'faces' created as a result of the view section.  Another example is the '2D Viewer' quite useful at times but not something that I would probably want to have toggled on all the time.  Now think about what it would be like if you had set-up the settings for some specific situation, as would be obvious based on the part that you're working with, but then you opened another part or started a new one which was very different in it's use or content, yet when you opened the 'View Section' for the first time, it would be still set as it was the last part you just had open.  At that point you'd probably be posting a questions as to how to stop this from happening and asking whether a ER should be opened.

We know that we can't make everyone happy in every situation, but we do try to anticipate those cases where we made certain assumptions about the behavior and be right more often than not.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Pioneer
Pioneer

I guess I have to live with that fact! At least, now I know I am not doing something wrong.

Laurenj

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

You can do a couple things here. First, in Customer Defaults > Gateway > View Operations > View Sectioning tab > Cap Display, you can pick Body (or custom) color + Interference. 

Second, you can set an environment variable to remember settings in your menus regardless if you click on OK or not. UGII_UIFW_SAVE_MEMORY_ON_CANCEL=1

I started to use this because of how NX8.5 measurment tool works. My personal default is to use projected measurement but when I would change part files, it would switch back to just distance. 

Siemens Phenom

Please note that while it's true that I've also set the variable UGII_UIFW_SAVE_MEMORY_ON_CANCEL=1, it's officially unsupported., and besides, not every dialog obeys the setting.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks John and Martin

Changing only the customer default isn't enough? I tried and it seems not to be working.

I can't play with environment variable since I don't have the required permission.