Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX 8.5 MCD can't see OPC server

Creator
Creator

Hi,

I've got a problem with connection between PLC from B&R company and NX 8.5 Mechatronics Concept Designer via OPC. I configured OPC server on a controller, I configured DCOMs on my PC and i'm able to see PLC variables and so one on OPC Monitor from B&R. But when i want to make a connection with server in NX MCD, it's not available (as You can see in attachments). 

Could You please make me some suggestion, what can be a problem here? I know that NX doesn't support OPC UA server, that's why i configured DA server.

11 REPLIES

Re: NX 8.5 MCD can't see OPC server

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi Barti and welcome to the SPLM Community,

you probably have to install the OPC Core Components from the OPC foundation on your mcd machine.

You can find a download on their site here is a link: https://opcfoundation.org/developer-tools/developer-kits-classic/core-components

I would also suggest to install a opc server/client on your MCD machine to make sure your DCOM settings are correct. A Free Software for that purpose could be Process Simulator from Alexander Sorokin (http://automation.ucoz.com/).

Best regards,

VBraun

Creator
Creator

Thank You for Your quick response and suggestions. Now we've got Christmas Break, so I will return at the beginning of January.

Best regards and Merry Christmas, Bartosz

Creator
Creator

Hello in new year Smiley Wink

I installed OPC Core Components, but it didn't help. I also tried to install Process Simulator, but I had got an error. I disabled UAC, check temp folders permissions and so one, but it also didn't help. I can see my server in B&R OPC Monitor and i can see other servers in NX, so it's a bit strange...

Have you got any further suggestions? Maybe isn't possible to connect B&R controllers with NX via OPC?

I would be grateful for Your further support.

BR, Bartosz

Siemens Legend

Hi Barti,

usually for MCD it doesnt matter what OPC Server Manufacturer it connects to (if the protocols are compatible OPC DA 2.0 & 3.0).

You could try to install another client + server on your MCD Machine and try to connect to your BR OPC Server for example the Matrikon OPC Explorer  (freeware) or the one from Kepware (trial) --> That would atleast spare you the DCOM troubleshooting for nothing first. In my personal experience and opinion OPC DA is not very nice to work with but this will change with OPC UA Support I hope Smiley Happy

Also, are you restricted to NX8.5? I always suggest to use NX10.0, it really is much more advanced and supports also the SHM Interface to SIMIT (which together with MCD can do much more in terms of Virtual Commissioning).

If you just wanna communicate to your PLC and you are a little bit familiar with programming (espacially .NET) you could also use the "Runtime Behavior" in MCD to program your own communiction (but to compile it you probably would need the NX .NET Author licence, im not sure if it works without it).

I did this some times with other Interfaces like ModBus, a genereral TCP/IP based MQTT interface, ORiN2 (Denso)... in MCD and it didnt work too bad Smiley Happy.
I Could share some example code with you if you have the NX API license and if you have a running console or windowsforms application it is mostly a piece of cake from there to implement in MCD Runtime Behavior.

Cheers,

Viktor

Edit: 06.01.2016 10:24 am - Sorry I meant OPC DA of course....

Creator
Creator

Hi,

Unfortunately I'm not very skilled in computer programming, so I won't be able to set communication by code.

These tuesday I will have possibility to use NX 10 so I will let You know if it helps.

BR, Bartosz

Creator
Creator

Hi,

NX 10 didn't help, OPC server is still unvisible for NX. 

Tomorrow I will try to set up OPC server on PC and look if NX can see it.

BR, Bartosz

edit: I installed Matrikon OPC Explorer and it also doesn't see B&R server. So probably the issue is exactly with OPC server. Tomorrow I will call B&R support and try to solve the problem.

Creator
Creator

Today I finally connected NX with B&R controller. 

The issue was, that NX can't search server in network, I had to enter IP adress and server name manually. Also name of the field Host Name is misleading, then we have to enter IP adress, not server name.

Thank You for Your support, problem was much easier to solve than we thought.

Siemens Legend

Hi Barti,

im glad it worked out.

Thank you for your update!

Cheers,

VBraun

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Barti

I also had a problem with you so you can help me how to get the server's IP address.

Best regards

vanle