Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX 8.5 Shuffle Random Color (some colors don't change)?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
  1. Usually, in the context of an assembly model in modeling, when the "Shuffle Random Color" command/button is used all of the component colors change. Sometimes though, usually after invoking this command a few times (looking for a workable multi-color combination) one or more components will get "stuck" on a flourescent-pink looking color. This usually happens to just one component - although the attached image file shows a case where three components don't cycle color when using this command.

src-1.jpg

NX8.5 Native

Thanks,

Steve A.

SteveA
DRT Mfg. Co. Inc.
www.drtusa.com
Win7x64 NX8.5.3.3
9 REPLIES

Re: NX 8.5 Shuffle Random Color (some colors don't change)?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Is it "selected"? (assuming selected color is "pink")

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ken,

Are you asking whether the component/components are selected?

I don't think that they are (there is no message indicating that anything is selected).

As a test - I did select a component and use the command and there was no difference in the result.

Steve A.src-2.jpg

SteveA
DRT Mfg. Co. Inc.
www.drtusa.com
Win7x64 NX8.5.3.3

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Steve, 

I am experiencing this problem for I can't remember how many NX releases now.

I have only found one (unanswered) thread on the topic on the eng-tips forum.

It is frustrating

It happens frequently, though not always. I can't isolate a possible reason and I still haven't found a workaround to return a "stuck" geometry to free shuffling.

I made a new file with an extruded rectangle in it. If you open it and turn on Random Colors, one of the faces will be magenta and won't shuffle. If you change the Random Colors Display to "Bodies" on Part Settings Color Preferences, then the whole solid will be magenta and it also won't shuffle. Restarting NX does not fix it.

Could anyone running NX10 reproduce this?

This has to be a bug.

It is quite a useful feature though!

Best regards, 

Julian

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I never did have anyone reply in a way that helped me with this issue. Maybe it is not common for a lot of folks. I rarely cycle color of faces of a single body - I usually always cycle colors on the different components within an assembly. I'm sure that it is equally annoying in either case.

SteveA
DRT Mfg. Co. Inc.
www.drtusa.com
Win7x64 NX8.5.3.3

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

@Oomyand @SteveA11

Have you logged an incident report with GTAC? If not, you should.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I havent. We typically go through our reseller - and they log IR's on our behalf. I don't think this was a big-enough issue (versus other issues that cause us much bigger headaches). We'd rather they not be distracted by small thhings like this - so they can focus on issues that cause us a lot more pain...

SteveA
DRT Mfg. Co. Inc.
www.drtusa.com
Win7x64 NX8.5.3.3

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Any bug that you run across should be reported; if it isn't reported, it will never get fixed. I'm sure that they have processes in place to prioritize the bug fixes; reporting an issue doesn't necessarily mean that you are pulling them away from something else that you reported.

Pioneer
Pioneer

@cowski1 You're right. I'll report it. 

Pioneer
Pioneer
I also cycle color of bodies (not faces) in assemblies. But for some reason it is the default setting and I tested face-cycling as well.