Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX 9.0.2 and Excel 2016

Genius
Genius

We are in NX 9.0.2 and won't migrate to NX 11.0 until 2nd quarter of 2018, but our IT department is pushing office 365 ProPlus (2016) to all of our users

I know Excel 2016 is not supported with NX 9.0, but is there anybody out there that has this combination of NX and Excel?

We mainly use Part Families and Tabular notes with Excel.  Maybe some users will edit expressions with the spreadsheet.

The Excel 2016 version we are currently looking at is 16.0.6925.1049 32 bit.

Another option we are looking at is install office 365 ProPlus and then install Excel 2010.

We are testing and validating to see if we can find a good solution to this.

If anybody has any comments or experiences that can be share, will be much appreciated.

Thank you

7 REPLIES

Re: NX 9.0.2 and Excel 2016

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @jAcosta,

You can find the 'NX compatibility with Spreadsheet' in the release notes.

NX: Compatible Versions of Microsoft Excel

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

HI @jAcosta,

Is there any reason you have to remain on NX9.0.2?

After some digging around I found existing ER 8306101 which requested support of Office 2016 for NX9.0.3.  The ER was closed as implemented in NX9.0.3 mp13 with the following caveat:

NX 9.0.3 support for Excel 2016 was implemented in MP13.  Excel 2016 Caveat:  When an Excel 2016 spreadsheet is launched from NX, exiting the spreadsheetwith the Windows Close button (the "x" on the top right of the Excel 2016 window) launches a dialog prompting the user to either save the data, or to cancel the spreadsheet exit, or to discard the changes and exit.  If the user selects the cancel option, subsequent use of the Windows Close button will close the spreadsheet without the dialog being launched again and will not return control back to NX.  At this point, the NX process has to be terminated.  The workaround to this caveat is to use the Excel File Close command instead of the Windows Close button.

I should point out that NX9.0.3 reached 'End of Maintenance' on September 27, 2016.  So if you find any issues having installed the above MP, they won't be fixed in NX9.

Regards, Ben

Genius
Genius

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the information.

We are trying to be in sych with the NX version used by GM.  That's why we are in NX 9.0.2

About ER 8306101, I went to Solution Center, but I was not able to find it.  I think this document is not open to all the users.

Then I searched for "excel 2016" and I found two documents, dated Mar-31-2017, which does not mention the support of Excel 2016 in NX 9.0.3 MP13.

These are the two documents

https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?si=002-7009107

https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?si=002-7009108

Do you think the support of Excel 2016 in NX 9.0.3 MP13 can be made available in Solution Center?

Or do I need to open an IR with GTAC to get confirmation of this support?

Thank you again for looking into this.

Genius
Genius

I forgot to mention I also went and looked at the nx-9.0.3.mp13.README.htm file, in the software download section, and neither the ER nor the support for Excel 2016 are mentioned in the file.

No need to open an IR, I've e-mailed the developer and will let you know.

I don't think ER's are searchable in Solution Center and the MP README files only contain fixed PR's, not implemented ER's (though it would have been nice to know).

Regards, Ben

Hi @jAcosta,

I received confirmation from development today that Excel 2016 support went into NX9.0.3 mp13.

Regards, Ben

Genius
Genius

Hi @BenBroad,

Thank you for looking into this, and confirming the support of Excel 2016 in NX 9.0.3 MP13.

We did some testing, and found problems editing a tabular note using the spreadsheet.  The error was:

Operation Cancelled

Unable to launch Excel 2016 from this command because an Excel 2016 process is already running.  Close all Excel 2016 processes before using this command.

Everything else we tested, worked OK.

About the problem editing a tabular note, I know it won't be fixed, since NX 9.0.3 reached "End of Maintenance", plus I think this operation is working in NX 11.0.

I just wanted to mention that not everything worked with NX 9.0.3 MP13.

Thank you again.