Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX Attribute Properties

Creator
Creator

Does anyone know how to link the Master Model Attributes as shown to the Drafting (Spec) Model?

6 REPLIES

Re: NX Attribute Properties

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @Tompkibe,

Your screen shot shows Solid Body Properties.

Is your intent to inherit object attributes on a solid body in the master model part to a drawing part, and if so, for what purpose?  To be added to a note?

Regards, Ben

Creator
Creator

Hello,

The Swept is in the Master model and when highlighted in the Spec model it comes up as solid body. I would like to use the attributes in a parts list so that we can call out the right size tubing for our callouts. We use Mechanical routing to create the stock part and then have attributes to define each solid part. We use multiple swepts to get the desired parts and each swept has its own attributes. I have already figured out how to add the attributes to the parts list but I cannot find out how to link the attributes from the Master to Spec.  

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Are you using Stock As Component (SAC)?  (See also: Stock as Components mode).

Have you looked at using the Routing BOM?  (See also Routing Bill of Materials).

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi  

Creator
Creator

I have stock as component mode on and it doesn't seem to work.

I do not know how to create a Routing BOM in Drafting. The only way I know how to create that BOM is in mechanical routing.

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Attributes can be one of the most complex topics in NX.

There are object attributes (feature, body, etc.), part attributes, instance attributes (on components), and component attributes (also on components, but different from instance attributes).

Routing handles and creates many attributes automatically.  And over the last couple of releases, has updated their usage to use the latest NX attribute capabilities. 

Drafting can read some but not all attributes.

So here's a brief that may be helpful.

Drafting can't select features.  So any feature attributes cannot be used associative annotations in a drawing.

Routing, prior to NX11.0.x copied stock attributes, (those listed in the Routing Part Library when you created the stock), and created them on the feature.  After NX11.0.x, it creates them on the body, too.  So you should be able to use them in drafting annotations.

Also before NX11, when using Stock as Components, Routing would create a part, and a component.  Stock attributes would be applied as part attributes and component attributes.  (memory fails a bit here).  In NX11, it creates part attributes only as these can be changed by routing and they are available at any level of the assembly.

Now, if you create a Component attribute on a component, it is different than an instance attribute.  Part attributes can be seen as the same value at any level of an assembly.  They can however, be overriden by an instance attribute.  Instance attributes can be with the same value at any level of an assembly.  Component attributes can override the value of an instance or part attribute.  However, Component attributes are only active at the assembly level where they were created.  For instance, if you create a Component attribute on a component part that exists multiple levels down the assembly, you will only see that Component attribute value in the Displayed part.   (There is a way to copy the Component attribute to all other levels (occurences in NX dev speak), but you're better off using an Instance attribute.   Also Component attributes cannot be sync'd to TC, only Instance attributes.

So perhaps you've been created attributes on a feature, or Component attributes, and that's why you can't find them in drafting. 

Oh, and you can get the routing bom in drafting by using the Tables Template (.pax) resource bar.  Drag and drop.

Hope that helps rather than confuses.

Doug