cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX CAD model "heaviness": what is being processed?

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

Hi all,

I am wondering if a part, with a pattern with many repititions, a knurled handle e.g., will consume less processing power and memory when we add an extra feature which makes the pattern unvisible. Let's say we delete the chamfered faces or we extrude an extra cylinder so the pattern is not visible anymore.

WIll this load faster or are all the unvisible features nevertheless processed?

Thanks!

Richard

5 REPLIES

Re: NX CAD model "heaviness": what is being processed?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Richard_RS,

Will this load faster or are all the unvisible features nevertheless processed?

It will load faster, though you probably won't see much difference with your use case.  I believe it's the "exact" (a.k.a. precise) geometry itself, not the features, that are processed on load, the status line usually gives you clues (Loading, Displaying, Updating, etc.).  NX also saves a lightweight (a.k.a. tessellated) version of the geometry in the part, which uses less resources when the part is loaded in an assembly (see below).

Review the example I've uploaded - a simple pattern applied to a complex surface.  Load the part (saved in its simplistic form for testing purposes), unsuppress Extrude(15), save it and load it again.  It should now take several seconds longer to load (and note that the file size has increased 25%).  Compare that time to executing Replay on the features in the part and you'll see that it takes significantly longer to replay versus loading the part.  Side Note: The JT for this part also increases from 30KB to 8.9MB due to the complexity and quantity of the revealed faces.  

Now add the part to a new parent assembly using the MODEL reference set.  Close the parts in the session, change your Assembly Load Options to enable Partial Loading and Use Lightweight Representations.  The assembly should load the part significantly quicker than loading the complex part itself - due to the tessellated version of the geometry.

See also: Simplifying Assemblies with Solids

Regards, Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your answer! I learned some new things Smiley Happy

I guess "exact geometry" means the as-is state of the model where features can be burried by newer ones and thus invisible in the model at that later timestamp?

My use case is a very large assembly where there are a lot of these connectors being used. 

The generation of drawing views is particularly nerve wrecking slow... That's why I wanted a lighter model so the drawing views can generate faster. 

As you can see in the attached .prt, I made 2 reference sets for a simple and a detailed representation.

Do you think this is a good way of working or would you suggest something else?

Regards,

Richard

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

@Richard_RS,

Your approach of using a simplified reference set follows the best practice. In addition, besides setting your load options to partial load + lightweight, for large assembly drawings you need to make sure that you are using the 'Smart Lightweight' Representation setting (View Settings - Configuration) to create your drawing views. Using this option is substantially faster than using the 'Exact' representation setting. You should make this the default behavior for all drawing views under customer defaults.

The 'Smart Lightweight' option will enable you to do over 95% of the things you can do with exact views but creation and update times are substantially reduced.

Abe

Thanks for your response Abe.

I'm doing some tests now with the Smart Lightweight drawing views and it does make a big difference in generation times but what are the 5% things one cannot do using this?

Regards,

Richard

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There is a list on this page.

Smart-lightweight Drawings

Scott