Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX Classic Toolbar User Interface Will Retire from Windows in NX 11

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

"You will use our software in the manner we deem, peons"

Let's be honest, that's in the fine print of any major software license agreement...

Creator
Creator

>Let's be honest, that's in the fine print of any major software license agreement...

Fair enough I suppose but there is no way the ribbon came from the user community unless they only polled people who have just finished training and plenty of other software companies listen to their users.

I told Siemens about a lag issue in NX 10 that makes working with large assemblies almost impossible. The problem has been acknowledged (select algorithm was the culprit) but not fixed until NX12 but in the meantime we get a new UI that nobody asked for and no seasoned user wants. And it takes more effort to retire the Classic Toolbars option than it does to leave it which seems just silly to me. 

I've been saying for years, spend a release cleaning up what you already have Siemens instead of just piling new code over the old, swapping locations of commands, and trying to coral users into their workflow rather than the one that works best.

After several hours of tweaking the attached UI is possible so I'm thankful for that at least but let's be honest again: it's a regression for all but noobs - the only possible improvement on single-click command execute is reduced mouse travel.   

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

My final thoughts on this subject....

Ribbon UI has added zero value to the software...I believe it would've been more beneficial to USERS if all that Ribbon [manpower-efforts] was instead channeled into fixing existing issues & implementing the many ERs ["shelved" & "in the works @ snail's pace"].

Wasted effort...Smiley Sad

Kal.

NX 9.0.3.4 MP12
PB 9.0.3.2
Vericut7.3.4

Testing NX 11.0.2.7 MP3

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Since I am full screen player, and my Resource Bar is docked (which is nice, but terrible if you need more than one instance of NX) on second screen, I think I am getting used to it.
What I hate about it is:
* Menu called menu, which hides the old File, Edit, View... WTF was that, why, why would anyone need an extra step to reach those rarely used features and stuff?
* Stripped hot-keys for drafting, I loved to control trailling zeros with NumPad, sadly I know have to mess around with drop down menu.
* Transfering a perfected UI from version to version is a pain. Its so time consuming, that I still didn't do this for NX11 and NX12 is here Smiley Happy
* Why can't we opt for update isntead of seperate setup of each version. And there goes the story again > templates, UDFs, tables, materials, standards, settings, UI...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

X

EDS UG V3 -UG V15 UNIX; UGS UG V6 -UG V19 - NX-NX5 UNIX/MS; Siemens NX6-NX11 MS

Phenom
Phenom

I've grown used to the ribbons, after 3 years or so, like most of you, I had a pre-ribbon "role" that I carried from job to job, with lots of buttons on the top.

One thing I can tell you, is that with the ribbon, it is easier to navigate a user to what they want, when on the phone.  Prior to the ribbon, I rarely used the menu, aka File, Insert, whatever...   I was a 99% button user, and still am, so navigating a user then was tough, trying to describe the icon, etc., when I just used muscle memory to move the mouse to the icon location.  Now, even though I have adjusted the ribbon icons some to my liking, I can navigate a user to the correct tab, and roughly how far across the bar to look for what they want, so it puts them in the ballpark quicker.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

X

EDS UG V3 -UG V15 UNIX; UGS UG V6 -UG V19 - NX-NX5 UNIX/MS; Siemens NX6-NX11 MS

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Since which version? NX12?
Cause in NX 11.02.7, I still have to use Alt+M first.
I was so used to stuff like ALT+T, M, A. But now its ALT+M, T, M, A and I still forget that extra step.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Laurie,

I want you to know for the first time in 24 years I don’t have a high option of NX/Unigraphics. The new ribbon is no good. If I get one more person tell me that you get used to it or after X is not that bad. I do not want to re-learn how to use software that I have mastered 15 years ago. I have worked in 6 countries and 3 of them I could not speak the language. It was my expert knowledge of NX/Unigraphics. I have been a contractor to Siemens teaching NX to your own employees, and GTAC asked me several times to come work there. I have chosen a career path and choose to master NX over learning other software packages like Catia. That’s out the window now. I cant believe that Siemens simply refuses to accommodate the users and is forcing this down are thoughts. I give you an example of similar corporate stupidity New Coke, look how that turned out. I have lost my edge over all NX users due to this change. I look like a fool when I tried to open up a part with some customers in the room. It caused a near anxiety attach. What in have learned in the Automotive Industry is that new is not better. It is usually a cheaper solution to a previous working technology. So if it is too hard or cost too much to keep the classic toolbar then something is wrong. GM had 10 000 seats of NX at onetime in Detroit, and say ¾ of the users are at experienced users just time of the reduced productivity due to the menu change. Also they would skip versions due to the cost of updating so many computers needing updating. If Siemens is going to continue on this path. I have no choice but to expand my software skills in Catia and Autodesk Alias and learn a new software and have multiple cad packages as to keep relearning the dam menus. I know Autodesk listens to there users even the beginner students like me.

Feel free to call me or have your manager call

Steve Popmarkov
519-995-4242
NX/Unigraphics user since UGII v8
Over 500 calls in to GTAC
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Highlighted

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What is the benefit of having all functions available at one glance, even those that are not applicable for the current application or that are rarely used?

I have seen users covering a major portion of the graphics area with 4 to six rows of tool bars and most functions have been disabled.

The ribbon was introduced with NX 9 and it was always said that the tool bars will be gone in NX 11, so what are the complaints useful for?

Would you really want to navigate through the current amount of functions with the UI of UGII v8?

With the ribbon you can create tabs for separate tasks, for example. You will add large icons for things you heavily use, medium ones for seldom used functions, small icons for rarely used functions and a more galley for the remaining stuff.

From my point of view the ribbon could be enhanced to record the usage of the user and change location and size of icons based on his behaviour. This has already been added to some extent by the recently used entry in the galleries.

I know users are just customizing the hell out of NX before they even start to use the existing things, but this is really the wrong way to use a UI.

After beta testing NX 9 for two weeks it was really hard to go back to the ancient tool bars for me and other beta testers in our company.

We have also made the decision to disable the ability to switch to the tool bars when we upgraded to NX 10 from NX 8.5, so that users get used to the ribbon. In addition we have been creating our own tabs for our task environments (modeling, drafting, manufacturing, FBM, electrode design, etc.), which contain the commonly used functions of our users.

Sure some have been creating their own custom tabs, but well there are always a few that swim in the opposite direction instead of adding value to the community.

Our company is using NX since UGII v3 and I am using NX since UGII v10, so now with NX 12 (UGII v30 the 32nd major UG release) we will be migrating to the 27th UGII release next year and we will further improve the usability of the ribbon in our company.

Users always want to keep their habits, but it is not always useful nor does it make sense to never change a running system, since in that case you will for sure fall behind your competitors in light-speed.

Since computers were invented they have always been bound to change and so is the entire industry build around them.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 Preparing: NX12.0 | TcVis 11.4

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide