cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX Classic Toolbar User Interface Will Retire from Windows in NX 11

Experimenter
Experimenter

You can access more commands with the NX Ribbon than the Advanced role in Classic Toolbar mode. That’s true even with a larger graphics window! The NX Ribbon gives you the ability to customize your interface for a truly optimized experience. NX-specific extensions such as border bars let you add additional commands around the perimeter of the graphics window, and you get traditional features like logical groupings, informative text, and a mixture of icon sizes that you would expect to find in this style interface.

These benefits have led to the decision to retire the Classic Toolbar mode from the Windows platform in NX 11.

If you aren’t already using the NX Ribbon, don’t worry. We have some great resources to help you get started, so you can take advantage of its strengths right away.

For an overview and introduction to the NX Ribbon, see this NX Quick Tips post.

Learn how to customize the NX Ribbon with this NX Quick Tips post.

If you already customized the Toolbar User Interface, you can migrate your changes to the Ribbon using the instructions found here. **Note: You will need your Webkey login to access this document. Don’t have one? Please see the instructions for how to create a Webkey.

We welcome any feedback and questions you have! Feel free to respond to this post, or reach out to us through private message if you prefer.

Best Regards, 

Laurie McAllister

NX Usability

Siemens PLM Software, Inc.

120 REPLIES

Re: NX Classic Toolbar User Interface Will Retire from Windows in NX 11

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I don't really understand the benefits of the ribbon interface. But, as there is no choice, I'll just go with it. Since I think the defaults are really not that good for experienced users there is a lot to customize. I am not done yet with this but found a bug: IR 7335102. (already bothered me in NX9, but couldn't pin it down) Not all customisations are correctly saved, or sometimes reversed. So, I am done customizing because I'll never know what will be saved and what will disappear in my interface. NX is my toolbox to get work done. It shouldn't be (a lot) of work to sort the toolbox out.

I would like to have a power user interface for instance. That would be way better than to start with the interface you get now, OOTB. Also, I never hear about less mouse clicks or mouse travel in the last releases. I would really like to have development concentrate on that for a while.

W10 NX11.0.1

Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
Siemens Pioneer

Hi - I've asked development to do a little research into your customization problem.  Sorry that you're experiencing problems.  Also, if you have suggestions for improving the Ribbon UI OOTB, I'd love to hear them.  If you have a saved roles file, you can private message me to arrange sending it to me. Regarding mouse clicks/travel - we do consider them when we update/redesign the entire Ribbon UI layout or the UI of an individual command.  If you have suggestions how to improve mouse clicks/travel, I'd like to hear them as well.

Thanks,

Laurie McAllister

Creator
Creator

One of the few benefits I found in the NX9 'update' was the Classic Toolbar option! Please keep this.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi all, the retirement of classic UI is for me a trully sad news.

I found the way how to set up the classic UI even in Daimler environment, where the simple way to switch to classic was supressed.

I really hate the ribbon interface, in MS Office, in NX and anywhere else. It's a disaster if you are not a novice who is satisfied with the few commands which are shown in the cards. If I wouldn't know the software, I would newer find some functionality, just because it is hidden somewhere in a fift level.

The worse thing in the Ribbon UI (at least for me) is the absence of classic full menus.

Please do what you want with icons, toolbars, ribbon cards or whatever you name it, but return the complete menu.

Regards, pajir

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The full menu still exists in NX 9. The default location is on the left side of the top border bar (directly below the ribbon). The appearance has changed to a weird drop down type of menu, but all the commands are still contained within it.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Oh yes, I know, but the accesibility is horrible.

Genius
Genius

Personally, I prefer the ribbon.

What about Linux?  Does this mean the Ribbon will finally be available there?

Siemens Pioneer

@MarkBurhop- Linux will continue to have the classic toolbar UI.  The retirement is only on Windows.

Let me know if you have anymore questions or comments.

Thanks,

LaurieM

NX Usability Consultant

Siemens PLM Software

Siemens Pioneer

@Geof - I was heavily involved in the development of the NX Ribbon UI, so I am interested in more detail on why you prefer the classic toolbar UI over the ribbon.  I'd be happy to setup a conference call if that's easier.

Thanks,

LaurieM

NX Usability Consultant

Siemens PLM Software