Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX Console?

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Hi everyone,

with NX 12.0.1 mp1 there comes the new measure fuctionality, and in the dialogue window there is the option

"[ ] Send results to NX Console".

This has roused my curiosity for during the past 16 years supporting NX, I never came across the term of an "NX Console" before. Maybe I missed something?

"Console" is also mentioned four times in the "What's New in NX 12.0.1 MP1" document, but unfortunately it does not explain what it is or how to use it.

As I have not found an explanation neither in the NX help not at GTAC Solution Center,  I'd like to ask you to help me in becoming a bit smarter on this topic.

Thanks for your input & support,

cheers,

UMM

+++ Supporting, Training & Customizing UGNX1...NX12 +++
17 REPLIES

Re: NX Console?

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
I read the same pdf was equally confused.... - until i saw an image in the pdf that shows "console",
- It's a new tab in the resource bar.
I have not yet seen how to apply the console in real work, but that might clarify soon.

Regards,
Tomas

Solution Partner Creator

Yes, I've seen that too. And on GTAC I've found that there is an environment variable DISPLAY_CONSOLE=1 that should do some trick but they are investigating why it doesn't.

Smiley Happy

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
Try enabling the option "send results to console", then measure something , AND press OK or Apply
I think it appeared when i did that.

Solution Partner Creator

True - terrific!

Now the next question is "why should I use it" or "what is it good for"?

I guess it might be meant to be some sort of what used to be the I-deas list window:

A place where the information won't get lost during the NX session?

Is that what it's intended to be?

Or is there some more awesome concept behind it?

Sorry for my overwhelming curiosity...

Smiley Wink

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Curiosity here is a good thing.  :-)

So, the console will be used for a variety of information going forward, but from the measurements perspective, the console can be used to keep a temporary (until the end of the session) record of measured values -- regardless of whether or not associative features were created.  You can copy and paste values out of the console if needed, and you can refer back to these values after exiting the measure command for any number of reasons.  (In fact, the workflows we've seen most usually include scenarios where temporarily [again, duration of the NX session] persistent values are desirable, but associative measurement features are undesirable for one reason or another.)

Those of you familiar with certain competitive (and complementary) systems will recognize this session "log" of measurements.  As we overhauled the Measure command, this was quite easy to include as a competitive feature.

And if you don't need it in your personal workflow, that's totally fine. We won't be offended.  That's why it's a setting.  :-)

Does that help a bit?

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

Solution Partner Creator

Thank you Taylor for the excellent explanation,

now I know what to tell the students about it in my next training session with NX12 (which I'm looking forward to).

The next interesting bit for me to find out would probably be, how to write to (or even read from?) the console using Journalling. But that should be discussed in a different thread then.

Cheers,

UMM

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Ah! so its like the (UGII v9 & earlier) "Calculator" registers A - (?M?).

Except better

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

ok dumb question......

So how do I select a bunch of objects in an assembly now to get the weight of the assembly with this new command?

I used to be able to use "measure body".

I could window over the entire screen and select everything to get the weight.

Now it seems like I need to single select the objects to be weighed.

Gonna take a long time to select 1000 or so objects.

I must be missing something.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Not yet using NX12 but can you use CTRL+A (select all).