Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX Drafting. Override dimension option

Creator
Creator

Hello, everybody!

Can anyone explain me the logic behind "override dimension text" option?

Sometimes it's in the place, sometimes it's absent.

I cannot understand this behavior and reliably reproduce it.

Spoiler
Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

PS. And by the way that known bug when shaded pdf export not working if you make a draft in parent  part and there is a view of some component inside it is still there.

4 REPLIES

Re: NX Drafting. Override dimension option

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @guga50,

It's hard to say from the screenshot. But it be, that 1 is a driving and the other a driven dimension?

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Creator
Creator

Frankly speaking I just made a sketch and then place a dimension. There was no option to override. Then I place another two dimensons to the sketch and then come back to the first one... Here it is!.. Hmmm!!???

Siemens Phenom

Hello @guga50,

I'm trying this in NX 11.0. but I do not see what you are seeing... I have 3 options:

1) You are now mentioning a Sketch, Actually in a Sketch (so not on a drawing/view), I do not have the option to override a dimension.

2) In a drawing, adding a dimenstion to a view on the drawing... before placing the dimension, looking at the style in the create dimension dialogue, I do not have the option to override the dimension.

3) After the dimension is placed, and I edit the style, I DO have the option to override the dimension, every time.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Siemens Phenom
@DennisdeBrouwer was spot on with the driven/driving - though this seems to be for drafting sketches only.

You must be sketching using the Drafting application. I cannot get the Override Dimension Text option to appear in the modeling based sketcher, whether the dimensions are driving or driven (reference). I also cannot get the option to appear with PMI dimensions (in Modeling or inherited in drafting).
The only time I can get Override Dimension Text to appear is when I use standard dimensions in Drafting and when sketching in drafting if the dimension is driven - but only when the dimension is created as driven (reference). If I convert a Drafting Sketch driving dimension to driven I do not see the Override Dimension Text option in Settings. However, 'Menu > Edit > Annotation > Text' does allow the dimension to be manually edited (overridden), following which the option is then available.

Regards, Ben