Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX Drafting. Override dimension option

Creator
Creator

Hello, everybody!

Can anyone explain me the logic behind "override dimension text" option?

Sometimes it's in the place, sometimes it's absent.

I cannot understand this behavior and reliably reproduce it.

Spoiler
Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

PS. And by the way that known bug when shaded pdf export not working if you make a draft in parent  part and there is a view of some component inside it is still there.

5 REPLIES

Re: NX Drafting. Override dimension option

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @guga50,

It's hard to say from the screenshot. But it be, that 1 is a driving and the other a driven dimension?

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Creator
Creator

Frankly speaking I just made a sketch and then place a dimension. There was no option to override. Then I place another two dimensons to the sketch and then come back to the first one... Here it is!.. Hmmm!!???

Siemens Phenom

Hello @guga50,

I'm trying this in NX 11.0. but I do not see what you are seeing... I have 3 options:

1) You are now mentioning a Sketch, Actually in a Sketch (so not on a drawing/view), I do not have the option to override a dimension.

2) In a drawing, adding a dimenstion to a view on the drawing... before placing the dimension, looking at the style in the create dimension dialogue, I do not have the option to override the dimension.

3) After the dimension is placed, and I edit the style, I DO have the option to override the dimension, every time.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Siemens Phenom
@DennisdeBrouwer was spot on with the driven/driving - though this seems to be for drafting sketches only.

You must be sketching using the Drafting application. I cannot get the Override Dimension Text option to appear in the modeling based sketcher, whether the dimensions are driving or driven (reference). I also cannot get the option to appear with PMI dimensions (in Modeling or inherited in drafting).
The only time I can get Override Dimension Text to appear is when I use standard dimensions in Drafting and when sketching in drafting if the dimension is driven - but only when the dimension is created as driven (reference). If I convert a Drafting Sketch driving dimension to driven I do not see the Override Dimension Text option in Settings. However, 'Menu > Edit > Annotation > Text' does allow the dimension to be manually edited (overridden), following which the option is then available.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

None of these options worked for me. The weird thing that worked was this:

1. Exit your sketch

2. Create the desired dimension. Leave it alone

3. Create the same desired dimension.

4. Right click, go to settings, go to text, format

Now the option to overide dimension text was available.

5. Delete original desired dimension...

I have no idea why it would work this way. Maybe has something to do with the second dimension becoming a driven not driving dimension. But with that logic, you would think that changing the dimension to driven would make it work, but it did not for me.

Hope this helps someone...