Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX Installer .zip Size

Creator
Creator

The NX installation .zip size has grown from 2.8 GB for NX 10 to 5.5 GB for NX 12. Why is it nearly twice the size? It's hard to believe that's all due to new features. Is there some other cause?

8 REPLIES

Re: NX Installer .zip Size

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Why so hard to believe?
You'll find that there was a more significant increase from NX10 to NX11 than from NX11 to NX12:

Version Size (GB)
NX2 0.416
NX3 0.554
NX4 0.605
NX5 1.323
NX6 1.367
NX7 1.587
NX7.5 2.174
NX8 2.081
NX8.5 2.528
NX9 2.931
NX10 2.795
NX11 4.620
NX12 5.424

As you know, NX is made up of many applications.  While you may only use Modeling and Drafting, you have to consider that there's Manufacturing, Simulation, Routing, Assemblies, NX Ship, Translators, NX Manager, to name a few .  If you compare the contents of the install zip files you'll see that each application's install file (i.e., the cab file) increases as it is improved from version to version.  The Visualization application recently had a major ovevrhaul in NX11 causing it's install file to increase significantly, contributing towards the larger increase between NX10 and NX11.  Once you add up all these progressive increases, the overall install file size is going to grow with newer versions.

Regards, Ben

Siemens Phenom

I  just found out that MR1 (12.0.1) is a full install and no longer just a service pack overlay as in all past MRs and MPs.  You can install a full NX 12.0.1 without having to first install the Base NX 12.  This is AWESOME!!!

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Creator
Creator
@BenBroad wrote:

Why so hard to believe?
You'll find that there was a more significant increase from NX10 to NX11 than from NX11 to NX12:

VersionSize (GB)
NX20.416
NX30.554
NX40.605
NX51.323
NX61.367
NX71.587
NX7.52.174
NX82.081
NX8.52.528
NX92.931
NX102.795
NX114.620
NX125.424

As you know, NX is made up of many applications.  While you may only use Modeling and Drafting, you have to consider that there's Manufacturing, Simulation, Routing, Assemblies, NX Ship, Translators, NX Manager, to name a few .  If you compare the contents of the install zip files you'll see that each application's install file (i.e., the cab file) increases as it is improved from version to version.  The Visualization application recently had a major ovevrhaul in NX11 causing it's install file to increase significantly, contributing towards the larger increase between NX10 and NX11.  Once you add up all these progressive increases, the overall install file size is going to grow with newer versions.

Regards, Ben

Hard to believe because of the huge jump betwen 10 and 11 as well as 12. As you showed in your post, that's a much larger jump than we've seen in the past. Thanks for the explanation. In the past we've typically just installed all features. I think we'll need to be more selective going forward when creating our company standard installer.

Creator
Creator

@LarryCarpenter wrote:

I  just found out that MR1 (12.0.1) is a full install and no longer just a service pack overlay as in all past MRs and MPs.  You can install a full NX 12.0.1 without having to first install the Base NX 12.  This is AWESOME!!!

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that. Thanks!

EDIT: Are you sure? Per the release announcement, it's "built for installation on top of Windows 64-Bit and Linux 64-Bit images of NX 12.0.0." 

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@jonparkinson wrote:

EDIT: Are you sure? Per the release announcement, it's "built for installation on top of Windows 64-Bit and Linux 64-Bit images of NX 12.0.0." 

You should read the readme.txt file near the ZIP download, it contains the information about being a fully functional base installation.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

@jonparkinson wrote:
In the past we've typically just installed all features. I think we'll need to be more selective going forward when creating our company standard installer.

We have done selective installation in the past and it was just trouble, there was always something missing.

The typical installation might contain too much, but you never know what you need in addition if you add another licensed module to your licenses.

In most cases it was even not enough to just add a missing module, one had to remove and re-install with all needed modules.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Siemens Phenom

Hi @jonparkinson,

Thanks for pointing that out.  I'll have our SFB templates reviewed for future announcements.

Regards, Ben

Note this is the first MR in a LONG time (if ever, but I'm thinking maybe UGII v10.0.x might have been full installs) that was a complete "stand alone" install.

I guess there were so many changes it was easier to just do a full release?

RE: partial installs

Another down side, is if you have Base NX + MR + MP installed, you have to add the "base" feature, then re-apply BOTH the MR and MP.

Yes, the NX tree is getting huge, but I have found (in general) it is more trouble to do partial installs than it is worth.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled