Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX License Server upgrade question

Experimenter
Experimenter

Our group is still using NX8.5. We recently installed NX12 for a single user. He needs that version for some scripting he's experimenting with. When starting NX12 he gets a "NX Initialization Error": "License Error, The version of the server_id feature is incompatible with application's product version [-10097]" I understand we need to upgrade to license server version 8.2.5 so NX12 will work for him.

Does anyone know if upgrading the license server to 8.2.5 will break NX8.5 for everyone else?

Thanks,

Ken

9 REPLIES

Re: NX License Server upgrade question

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

It should not.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

The general principle is that a newer license + license server should be able to serve older NX versions.

There is one major deviation to this, that i think happened in NX5 or NX6, where Siemens did some changes to the license handling. but from that on, "NX.old" will run on a NX12 license.

Regards,

Tomas

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

We have NX 8.5 running with all releases up to NX 12 with the latest license server version and license for NX.

The NX 12 license server and file is good to support NX 5 and above.

For NX 4 and below you need the license server and license file of NX 4.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 Preparing: NX12.0 | TcVis 11.4

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
We had some problems trying to use NX8.5 after upgrading our license server and license file to NX10.
This was due to Siemens PLM renaming a number of licenses between NX8.5 and NX10.
I recall having SPLM reissue a number of the old licenses and hack our new license file to insert and combine the old license strings with the latest ones.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Per Larry's issue.

I recall this issue, but (IIRC) it was with Teamcenter features (like they renamed "tc_author" to "tc_authr", although that may NOT have been one of the ones actually renamed) (and it boggles my mind that they would even do that!  What were they thinking???)

Siemens (eventually) started sending license files with both features, but it was a PITA for a while.

What I did was just copy the feature lines from an old license file to a new one, and it seemed to work.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom
Does anyone know if upgrading the license server to 8.2.5 will break NX8.5 for everyone else?

I just checked with our GTAC System's support group - who handle license questions - upgrading the license server to 8.2.5 will not break NX 8.5 for everyone else.

Siemens Phenom
That's right . I even wrote a Teamcenter blog about that.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.

Siemens Phenom

Here's the old blog: Making Teamcenter 10.1 Licensing Work with Older Teamcenter Versions

Larry Carpenter, P.E.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks all for the rapid answers!

Ken