Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX Maintenance Packs

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello all,

Amature question here.  I'm new to my employer and this community as well. 

I am working on some issues some of my colleagues have been reporting inside of NX, and noticed we have not participated in downloading any of the "Maintenance Packs" provided by Siemens.  I have a few questions, hopefully some of you are able to spread some knowledg on.

We are currently operating on version 9.0.0.19 (We are 48 patches behind)

1.  Are the maintenance packs necessary?  What are some of your experiences with fucntionality of maintenance packs and do you recommend I update?

2.  Do the maintenance packs need to be applied sequentially? (Since we have no patch, will I need to apply them one at a time in order, or can I jump to the latest version)

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

-Jake

Jake
8 REPLIES 8

Re: NX Maintenance Packs

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jake, welcome to the community.

Maintenance Packs (MP) are smaller patches installed on top of Maintenance Releases (MR).  There have been 3 MR's for NX9, the newest one being NX9.0.3.  The newest MR includes all fixes that were issued with the previous MR's.  The newest MP for NX9.0.3 will include all the previous MP fixes for NX9.0.3.

You need to install the MR before the MP.

To bring your version of NX9 up to the newest versions of MR and MP you only need to install the most recently released versions. Thus:

Maintenance Release NX9.0.3

Maintenance Pack NX9.0.3 mp13

Are the maintenance packs necessary?  What are some of your experiences with functionality of maintenance packs and do you recommend I update?

Are you experiencing problems with the software?  If you are, it's likely they've been fixed in a newer MR or MP.

Regards, Ben

Ben Broad | PLM Enthusiast | Siemens GCSS

NX (v17 - 1872) | Teamcenter (9 - 12)
Value Based Licensing | Adaptive UI | BETA Registration

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

One other MR / MP difference.

MRs are (if I understand correctly) much more "tested" before release than MPs.

So (on occasion) an MP will fix problem A but cause a new problem B.

Therefore, MRs are pretty safe to apply, but you might want to have a strategy to back out MPs (note there is no "easy" way to do that.  After installinga  base release, e.g. NX9, I make a copy of the entire install folder.  Then, if needed, I can copy that (again) and install the MR & MP I want to  go "back" to)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Excellent!

Thanks for clearing this up, I couldn't have asked for a better response!

Now I just need to figure out how to go about updating all of our machines system wide!

Best,

Jake

Jake

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

A Maintenance Release is a significant and quality release.  Updates to the technical documentation are included, along with enhancements that would not appear in the base release (or MP's).  MP's are interim fixes, to be installed while you wait for the next MR.  The time between each NX9 MR's was approximately 3 months, whereas MP's were typically quicker.  Also, MR NX9.0.3 is the last MR for NX9, so installing an NX9.0.3 MP is the only way to correct fixes for that MR.

Another consideration is End of Maintenance:

http://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?si=sfb-nx-8110

"End of Maintenance dates for NX Release versions ... represent when Siemens PLM Software will discontinue MP (Maintenance Pack) support and customer specific patches (HF). No further updates or fixes will be issued for the corresponding NX version after these dates."

Regards, Ben

Ben Broad | PLM Enthusiast | Siemens GCSS

NX (v17 - 1872) | Teamcenter (9 - 12)
Value Based Licensing | Adaptive UI | BETA Registration

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Does anyone have a recommended process/method for installing these updates across an entire environment? (roughly 20 workstations)

also,

Timeframe, downtime, etc..

Jake

A software deployment tool would be the best solution to update many systems, there are some freely available like http://wpkg.org

I would at least install the latest MR, so you advance to NX 9.0.3 after that, I would use it for some weeks and see if there are still some issues left.

!!! If NX 9.0.3 is working without problems for you, don't install any MP !!!

If you encounter issues, that you can not easily work-around, check the read-me of the latest MP for the latest MP that contains the fix and apply just that. For example MP9 is the latest MP available, your issue is fixed in MP6 => install MP6 and check if there are any new issues.

If you have multiple issues and one is fixed in MP4, another in MP6 and the last in MP7 => install MP7, since it also included the previous fixes, and check if there are any new issues.

Installing of a MR or MP is usually taking about half an hour without SSD drive and 15 minutes on an SSD drive.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide
Highlighted

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I write install/update scripts for our users to run.  You can even make it automatic if you add some logic to a launch script to check for updates before starting the program.  I did a presentation on this at the 2016 PLM World conference.  Link: http://www.plmworld.org/p/do/sd/topic=1033&sid=7401

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Jake -

I would suggest looking in the NX Programming & customization forum for the "NXCustom" (or "NX Custom") files that are now maintained by Gerrit K.

These have a ZIP with a set of files to allow you to set up one custom environment (e.g. on a shared network drive) shared by all users (e.g. so everyone sees the same customer defaults, CAM templates, postprocessors, etc.).

There is pretty reasonable documentation of what is going in included.

If you have everyone using the same .BAT file to start NX, it is pretty easy to include things like installing MRs and MPs.

The problem with doing it this way is that the user has to wait until the update finishes, when they were just trying to open NX.

As others said, there are freeware & $$ware tools to do this.  Microsoft used  to have SMS (I think now Microsoft System Center?) and other companies (Altiris, etc.) have deploment tools.  With these, you can "push" the install files to PCs (e.g. overnight) so it doesn't affect work time.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled