Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX Master Model drafting method - views from Model or Specification

Experimenter
Experimenter

Can someone point me to a good explanation of the Master Model method of drawing, particularly on choosing base views from the Model vs the specification. I know exploded views need to come from the specification. What are the pros and cons of using the model or the specification for drawing views. Is there any issue or way to default to using views from the specification? 

Thank you.

3 REPLIES

Re: NX Master Model drafting method - views from Model or Specification

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @ah3,

As you know with NX it is possible to make a drafting in the same file of the modeling, as well as making an assembly or a sheet metal. This is because the various type of files have the same extension as you know.
This represent a big advantage IMHO.
When you work in master model mode, you just use an assembly structure, where the drafting file contains the modeling main file.
If you make an exploded view in the drafting file (master model), this data are contained in this drafting file, so that this data do not necessarily burden the model file.
You can also add other components, in the drafting file, not belonging to the main assembly, that are used to better explain the context or the drafting itself. And so on.

This views are contained in the master model file.

To make the master model view as default, contact the GTAC.

default.png

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

At one time, the specification used views from the specification, and not the model, and then the default was changed to pull views from the model.  I had a pretty good discussion with someone at GTAC regarding why the change was made, and the pros/cons with each.  At the time, I thought there was a setting to change it, but now I can't seem to locate where/what it is.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you create PMI annotations in your model and want to show them on your drawing, I'm pretty sure you need to pull the view from the model (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a big PMI user). If you add reference components/geometry to the drawing file and want to show that in a drawing view, you'll need to pull the view from the drawing rather than the model.