Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX Monthly Update (NX 1855) is available for download

Phenom
Phenom

Our Nx update Icon is still green, says no updates available? (running 1851)  What are the steps to get NX to see there is an update available? 

Also with the MSP, do the New NX files still need to download the total 6 gig during the installation processs?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@Scaffold,

That depends on what you call an ER (or enhancement).  In the 1851 docs that were posted, 1 ER was listed:

1851 ENHANCEMENTS

Please see below for a list of enhancements included in this release

ERs

• 8395265 - Fixed Unfolded Length Type for Resize Bend Radius changes geometry of the part

I have yet to see anything similar for NX 1855 posted in the same GTAC area.  I tend to think the above is more of a fix than an ER but apparently someone at Siemens feels otherwise.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@TimF wrote:

@Scaffold,

That depends on what you call an ER (or enhancement).  In the 1851 docs that were posted, 1 ER was listed:

1851 ENHANCEMENTS

Please see below for a list of enhancements included in this release

ERs

• 8395265 - Fixed Unfolded Length Type for Resize Bend Radius changes geometry of the part

I have yet to see anything similar for NX 1855 posted in the same GTAC area.  I tend to think the above is more of a fix than an ER but apparently someone at Siemens feels otherwise.

Users: There's a bug in NX

Siemens: It is working as designed

Users: But it's wrong...

Siemens: CONVERTED TO ER, CASE CLOSED

Gears Phenom

@cubalibre00 wrote:

Anyway, after 10 day of the Monthly Update announcement, NX still doesn't find any automatic update. Ten day are 1/3 of one month. Siemens PLM ( @BenBroad ) have you paid third-party server or are in Bangladesh ?

@cubalibre00,

Where are you getting 10 days, if you're referring to the NX 1855 update?  It hasn't yet been a week since @BenBroad posted it was available for download.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @TimF ,

the download was available starting 11 March and I've received the Knowladge e-mail about the update.

I'm referring to this date, not what is written on the forum.

Anyway, there is something strange of the new CR release. The update process timing, the update sharing in company and the automatic update available.

For me, the solution was not tested in a real scenario, but in a scenario inside the Siemens PLM company.

It's absurd that all users in the forum are disappointed of this enhancement.

We test our new machine for one year on more final client, so when we go on production, we don't have surprises.

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Gears Phenom
@cubalibre00,

Ahhhh - I see from where you're coming now and yes, the current situation seems a bit disappointing at the moment, but I'm on the outside looking in with this since I'm stuck on whatever version GM uses.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6
Highlighted

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

My NX1851 keeps telling me that software is up to date. So much for the automatic update?

@Scaffold, this is correct.  The monthly update has only been released for manual updates.  When the automatic update is released the indicator in NX will change to red indicating that "A new version is available to download".

my NX 1851 doesn't find any update. What I've to check with our ITC ?

@cubalibre00, nothing to check.  You can manually install the update, or wait for the automatic update to be released.  If  you choose the manual update you'll notice that the release package also includes a .msp file - which is significantly smaller that the complete install (zip).

I jsut did a new install of 1847, and I get the red light download indicator, but when I select to download and log in, I get a "Failed to download update" message.

@DaveK, the new install will continue to only allow you to download NX 1851, because the NX 1855 automatic download has not yet been released.  Not sure why you got the "Failed to download update" message - I suspect this is related to your connection.

The NX automatic update for NX 1855 has not yet been posted.

It is not delivered via the GTAC download server, but via a third party server.

@cubalibre00, this is a correct statement.  The key here is "automatic".  While you can still manually download the .msp file that will be delivered with the automatic update, you can choose to wait for it to be delivered with the automatic update.

We need to wait at least one week

@Didier_PSI-CAD, if you're basing automatic updates on the last one that was released, then that would be a good assumption.

Many software vendors that offer automatic updates are delaying the official public release for about a week.

This is done to prevent the regular user from installing an update that might have serious issues.

During the one week delay the heavy users are usually installing updates manually and testing them heavily, so serious issues would be reported early and the public release will be delayed until the issues are resolved.

Thank you @sdeters.  This is a good explanation.

From the announcements I (and probably many more) had an impression that some feature enhancements were going to be introduced every minior release. To reinforce this, with NX12 Siemens started to introduce feature enhancements with every MP.

@Scaffold, historically, enhancements were only available when upgrading to a major release.  Starting with NX 11 (IIRC) significant enhancements were introduced in Maintenance Releases (NX 11.0.1 had over 100).  Maintenance Releases have since been replaced with Functional Updates - which will be available biannually.

You may find some minor enhancements to commands in the Monthly Updates, but nothing that I would expect to necessitate a "What's New" announcement.  Any enhancements that are delievered with the Monthly Updates will be listed in the NX <XXXX> Series Monthly Update (available on Documentation Center).  For example: NX 1847 Series Monthly Update.

In the past, we had to download 1Gb roughly every two months to get bug fixes. Now we have to download 6.5Gb every month to get mere bug fixes?

@Scaffold, Monthly Updates are now available to download as a .msp file (0.5 GB for NX 1855) and will be available approximately once a month.

Anyway, after 10 day of the Monthly Update announcement, NX still doesn't find any automatic update.

@cubalibre00, I typically post the notice to the forum right after the official announcement (SFB) is posted, which was March 14th.  It so happened that the release package was uploaded a little earlier on March 11th. 

Yeah, monthly bug fixes, and twice a year feature releases, is not what was implied in the marketing, although it is in the FAQ.  BUT, at the same time, the FAQ repeatedly says fixes and enhancements will be available without delay.  I guess "without delay", depends on your industry, and what you consider a delay

@DaveK, Monthly Updates: As the name implies, fixes (and minor enhancements) delievered monthly (similar to MP's).

Functional Update: To include major enhancements, delivered biannually.  Compare this to previous major releases that were available yearly.  I would interpret "without delay" to mean that you don't have to wait quite so long to see major (or minor) enhancements.

Our Nx update Icon is still green, says no updates available? (running 1851)  What are the steps to get NX to see there is an update available? 

Also with the MSP, do the New NX files still need to download the total 6 gig during the installation processs?

@sdeters, other than enabling the notification for software updates in the Customer Defaults, there are no additional steps required for this process.  When the automatic update is released, the icon in NX will change.  For an existing install you only need to download the 0.5GB .msp file.

Users: There's a bug in NX

Siemens: It is working as designed

Users: But it's wrong...

Siemens: CONVERTED TO ER, CASE CLOSED

@cowski1, but expect to see that ER without delay Smiley Wink

It's absurd that all users in the forum are disappointed of this enhancement.

@cubalibre00, it's a new process.  As always, your feedback is welcomed and encouraged, but please don't be disappointed, you're helping to improve the process.

Regards, Ben

Phenom
Phenom

@BenBroad wrote:

@cubalibre00, it's a new process.  As always, your feedback is welcomed and encouraged, but please don't be disappointed, you're helping to improve the process.

Regards, Ben

@BenBroad,

for this I'm disappointed, I want to test and configure this automatic update in the best manner possible, because we are in process to switch to NX 1855 on middle April for 30 users. I'm the responsable of this switch and put my face to my colleagues and I'm also a disegner that work 8 hours for day.

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

So @BenBroad I would suggest the marketing materials be changed, to state, "minor enhancements" in the montly updates, vs. major.  Also, I would swear that our "pre sales" rep, said, in typical salesman fashion, that by going to NX CR it would get us new functionality as it became available, without having to wait like before.  Now how you interperet that is subjective...we have no learned that "becomes available" is every 6 months or so, but the emphasis was on an update every month.

Not complaints, just stating how it came across here.  As I am seeing things, it's not all that different, other than terminology, and backwards compatability.  Still a MP type thing monthly-ish, and MR every 6 months, just not a new version number every year or so.  PLus a traffic signal to tell us when it's ready.

Now, off topic...does Siemens PLM have a plan once the significant years in Siemens history, catch up to current times, for their version numberless versioning system Smiley Happy

-Dave
NX 11 testing NX1847+ | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Gears Phenom
@DaveK,

Are you implying that there might be actual plans beyond forcing users to re-learn icons and/or increasing the number of mouse clicks to accomplish tasks? Smiley Happy
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6