Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX Monthly Update (NX 1855) is available for download

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

@DaveK wrote:

So @BenBroad I would suggest the marketing materials be changed, to state, "minor enhancements" in the montly updates, vs. major. 

Per the NX Continuous Release F.A.Q.

Q: What are the key changes customers should expect with this new Continuous Release?

A: Customers in Continuous Release mode will see monthly update releases, with major enhancement releases approximately every 6 months.  The monthly updates will be for fixes and a small number of high priority projects. There will be no schema and compatibility related changes in monthly updates.

Also, I would swear that our "pre sales" rep, said, in typical salesman fashion, that by going to NX CR it would get us new functionality as it became available, without having to wait like before.

Q: Why are we introducing Continuous Release?

A: In our regular Voice of the Customer survey our NX customers tell us that they want faster turnaround of product enhancements while maintaining our high quality levels.  The new Continuous Release process will significantly reduce the time between the proposal of a new enhancement, and its deployment to the end users. Customers will now have the opportunity to deploy the latest NX productivity enhancements more quickly in their production environment which helps them become more productive when using NX.  In addition the Continuous Release will also reduce deployment costs for incremental updates.

As I am seeing things, it's not all that different, other than terminology, and backwards compatability.  Still a MP type thing monthly-ish, and MR every 6 months, just not a new version number every year or so.  PLus a traffic signal to tell us when it's ready.

It looks like you have a good grasp of the concept.  Don't forget that the cadence to receiving enhancements and a small number of high priority projects has increased.

Now, off topic...does Siemens PLM have a plan once the significant years in Siemens history, catch up to current times, for their version numberless versioning system Smiley Happy

Ask me when we get there Smiley Wink

If my calculations are correct - that should be about mid 2022.

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend
On the icons, don't get me started! A classic case of change for the sake of change with pretty unconvincing justification. Ok, I understand that CEO had to SEE that product has been 'improved'...

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

@Scaffold wrote:
On the icons, don't get me started! A classic case of change for the sake of change with pretty unconvincing justification. Ok, I understand that CEO had to SEE that product has been 'improved'...

Let's not get off topic.  There's a different thread for the icons.

Thanks, Ben

Highlighted

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

As with every new process to deliver software to the customer, the expectation of the customer defers from the proposal of the vendor.

I would allow Siemens time to get the delivery straight by reporting issues with it. Initially there might be longer delays until the public release gets available, so it doesn't help anything to get angry about this.

Software is developed by humans and humans are not free of mistakes. Any amount of testing will never reach a limit that will make sure that the final release of the process doesn't need some polishing.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Ok, having tired of waiting for the red button I downloaded msp file and launched it. Now, after roughly 40 minutes it is roughly on 30% of 'validating install'. Are you kidding? Anyone else having the similar performance?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

@BenBroad isn't it better to wait with the announcement until the auto update is also working.

Now we get this base discussion not every month (sign is still green)

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Scaffold 

I have the same issue Smiley Sad

validating install msp.jpg

But after 71 mn, it's OK

install msp.jpg

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The MSP is checking the versions of all files, see the REINSTALLMODE property in the readme file and the Microsoft installer documentation.

The problem is that the NX installation is about 17GB large for the typical installation and a selective installation will only result in having to add options, if something doesn't work as expected or you get an new additional license.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I see there's an option to download just the update this time. Thanks! That's a bigimprovement over 1851.

However, per the ReadMe.txt, the update should only be used if you are on the most recent version. To install 1855, you need to be on 1851. Prior to NX 1847, this wasn't necessary. A user could skip from MP06 to MP10 for example. 

Is this to be expected going forward? It means we'll either need to embrace every monthly update (which means little to no testing prior to deployment) or do a full installation every time we want to deploy an update (which means deploying updates very infrequently to minimize the amount of downtime a full install requires). There's no longer a middle ground. 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@jonparkinson I agree with you