Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX Monthly Update (NX 1855) is available for download

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @ShirishMore ,

these questions of yours demonstrate how you have no experience of what it means to keep NX aligned in a company. Keeping NX aligned on many workstations and in various companies takes so much time and the automatic update is so many years that I ask for it. Having it working, effective and efficient is very important. We will switch to NX 1855 on April 24th and I would like the subsequent updates to be automatic for all of us, including myself, NX users.
Remember, as others have done, that it is one of the most important innovations presented in August 2018.
In addition to making this automatic update functional, effective and efficient, you must implement update sharing so that the download is not repeated on each machine.
Currently on our machines, with the NX 1852 the automatic update does not work, as described.

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Highlighted

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hello Cubalibre00,

NX Continuous Release:

NX Continuous Release was rolled out last year so that customers can get the latest NX productivity enhancements faster in their production environment by significantly reducing the time between proposing an enhancement and the end-user deploying that enhancement. You can see from the monthly updates getting posted that this new model will give you an opportunity to realize the latest updates in production environment faster. So continuous release which was presented last year as the newest innovation is already there starting with Jan 2019 release. Now, this Continuous Release model presented last year is different than the automatic update feature inside NX.

NX Automatic and Manual Update:

Automatic and manual GTAC download/update, on the other hand, are processes that you can use to download these monthly updates and install it. Now depending upon your current site-wide software deployment mechanism, you may prefer either automatic or manual download and update.

The first implementation of the automatic update is meant for individual user's who may want to download the update automatically and keep their NX current. We are working on getting this right and robust first (user permissions, security settings, integrations, etc....). These are the users who typically will not worry about alignment in your term and are happy with keeping their NX current. Academic institutes, small companies with few users and no customization, admins who may want to keep their test machine up-to-date to see what's current, downstream domains who usually are ok with moving to the latest NX as they don't share data with engineering and so on.

We are looking into how automatic update also can be used to support site-wide update use-cases, wherein an admin can download an update to a specified shared or network drive instead of asking all his users to download it to their clients and then from this shared location let NX clients get their notification and updates. 

Individual groups in a given organization need to be aligned as they collaborate amongst themselves and they may have OEM-Supplier data sharing as well but in the same organization you may have downstream users like CAM, CMM, and Tooling who possibly may be on the latest version using either manual/automatic update as they normally don't edit/author data. They are consumers of data and most of the times they are happy to be on current NX.

Based on your response looks like you are in site-wide deployment scenario with all users being in sync. 

Regards

Shirish

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

If we do nothing, the NX1859 should install automatically, right?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@clementev wrote:

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

If we do nothing, the NX1859 should install automatically, right?

1855 and 1859 can only be installed manually. 1859 is supposed to contain the fix for the auto-update, so the auto-update should work correctly for the following updates.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sorry to further bother you.

Currently I am in NX1851.

Without doing nothing the system will update in a release after 1859, or do we have to manually install the 1859 to get the system working automatically for the next releases?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@clementev wrote:

Sorry to further bother you.

Currently I am in NX1851.

Without doing nothing the system will update in a release after 1859, or do we have to manually install the 1859 to get the system working automatically for the next releases?

That's how it's supposed to work, but it broke in 1851. To get it working correctly again, you'll need to manually install 1859 once it's available, or one of the versions after 1859. After you've manually upgraded, the autoupdates should work again.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Earlier in this thread I posted my concerns about not being able to skip updates (the Readme for 1855 said you needed to be on the most recent version to apply the update). I just wanted to update people. I tested updating from 1847 straight to 1855 and it worked fine. Additionally, in the Readme for 1859, it states:

There are two options to download NX. The first option is recommended for customers
  who are running the most recent versions of NX (1847/1851/1855).

So that concern has been resolved. 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

On the topic of the broken automatic update download feature, I have a funny story to tell you.

So yesterday we had some Siemens PLM reps on site, and I mentioned, "If NX had version numbers, I'd be downloading 1859 right now".  One of the guys chuckled, and said, he hasn't gotten the automatic download yet, when I informed him, that it was broke.  The siemens guy looked at me surprised, and asked "Broke, how do you know that?".  I had to laugh then, and told him it's been discussed online for awhile now...

I also explained that this new versionless NX was really no different than the old MP, MR, and version release system of old, we just get a stop light to tell us about it now, and eventually he agreed.

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I have tested the time to update with .msp file and It's better than the last time: less than 7 mn Smiley LOL

NX1859.jpg

Regards

Didier