Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX New Icons.

Phenom
Phenom

SETTINGS VS TEST SETTINGS.png

Is there a setting where we can change these new Icon Colors,  I was in testing some 2d drafting dimensioning, and I ran into two Icons that are so close being the same, it really messed me up.  Can the colors of these be changed or modified in any way?  Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

Re: NX New Icons.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
@sdeters,

*palm to face*

When they change it to something ugly, they can't even get it all ugly - how many different shades of red are they using in this dialog now? I think we should immediately start referring to this as the Miami Dolphins theme - light blues and orangish red seem to be the new popular colors - mixed in with grayscale.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1

Phenom
Phenom

@sdeters,

the answer is no.

If you don't like this icon colour scheme, open an IR on GTAC.

Thank you...

Using NX1859
RuleDesigner PDM

Phenom
Phenom

I guess it is not just the color scheme, if they can make the icons little bit more different, I would be ok. But being the same shade, and having one little mark between the two, will not set well with the users.  

Great suggestion Cubalibre00. I will suggest this. I was hoping we could modify, or customize this box, Maybe toss in different Icon design for one of the two setting.

Below is the NX11 there is a very big difference between these two Icons.    

Thanks for the feedback.  I will send to GTAC and see what they have to say.

NX11_ICON.png

Phenom
Phenom

@TimF,

there is a study on which colors strain eyes :

Strain eyes :

• red
  • yellow
  • pink
  • maroon
  • orange
  • light red
  • golden yellow

Relax eyes :

• blue
  • green
  • violet
  • navy blue
  • turquoise
  • light green
  • ice blue
  • dark navy blue
  • aquamarine
  • magenta

Black, white, grey, cream and dark grey are achromatic colours that don't help to distinguish. 

Thank you...

Using NX1859
RuleDesigner PDM

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

When I had an install of 1847 to mess with, I saw in the Customer Defaults you can change the "theme", but the explanation is vague...does it do anything to the icon colors?  what about the color blind settings, do they make any improvement?

This screen shot is from NX11:

NxTheme.jpg

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @DaveK ,

icons and relative color scheme don't change. Try via Ctrl+2.

Thank you...

Using NX1859
RuleDesigner PDM

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
@cubalibre00,

Apparently that study didn't make it to Siemens for these 2 particular icons, seeing as how they went from a possible navy blue color to orange/red.

Thanks for sharing.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1

Lots of great new enhancements in NX-CR, but oh man these icons are awful!

I'm really struggling to differentiate between them (e.g. edit parameters vs rollback), make out what the icons are showing (e.g. trim body is a splodge), and the colourless icons are even worse, they all look the same. Ditto the assemblies commands, all the pattern commands...

I hope there are plans to improve them for clarity / differentiation and put some colours back. It's fine to have nice simple icons e.g. in Microsoft Edge where there are only 10 buttons, but NX is a much more complex animal.

Highlighted

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

To the original question, “is there a setting where we can change these new icon colors,” the answer is no. This was not possible in NX 12 or earlier and it is not possible in NX 1847.

The rest of the post spirals a bit, some expressing dislike for the new icons, particularly color. Color is emotional and emotion is expressed in some responses. My polite paraphrasing.

For those interested in understanding why we did what we did, I will attempt a few details without too much information that I suspect you would rather not be bothered with.

We developed a design language for the icons – a deep topic that I will not elaborate. At a point in the design process we identified need for stock colors, among them a neutral color, an emphasis color, and a curve color. We also reserved a set of colors to communicate status; red, yellow, and green being the universal status colors. When using a color to communicate status, using that same color for another purpose diminishes its effectiveness in communicating status.

For the curve color we decided a shade of blue. Emphasis is orange, neutral is gray. Neutral and emphasis are often used in combination where neutral communicates a substrate and emphasis a subject. For example, to communicate “blend” we have a gray block with an orange face.

Neutral and the curve color are also often used in combination. For example, the extrude icon, and many others that communicate a body derived from a curve.

To a question of why gray instead of blue or navy or turquoise or dark blue or aquamarine? Because all are blue and all would negate the effectiveness of the curve color (itself a form of emphasis).

Could the colors be thrown back into a blender to come up with a scheme where the neutral color was blue instead of gray? Maybe, but that’s not where we are. And I will point out that if I swapped every gray pixel on every icon for blue, the observation would be “it’s all blue.”

I will point out that where I refer to “we” I am mostly referring to “me” (grammatically “I”), but in “we” I include the creative consultants at the design firm that we contracted for icon design. This is not something that was just dreamed up in isolation by a whacky software guy. (At least the isolation part.) And yes, we did consult on colors.

Carl, where you say “NX is a much more complex animal;” yes indeed. We worked on 2000+ icons in NX 1847. To your concern of differentiating ‘Edit Parameters’ from ‘Edit with Rollback’ I hope this is momentary speed bump. At some point we all learned the difference between the two edits, and memorized the icons. (Mostly we memorized the location of the icons; a separate and integral topic but left alone for now.) Now the icons have changed. The new icons communicate with meaning. Both communicate “feature.” One communicates “parameter,” the other a more-involved edit with the wrench symbol. (I don’t know about you, but any time I need to pull out the wrenches that’s a more-involved edit.)

Parameter and wrench symbols… what’s up with that? It is part of the design language that communicate meaning. Carl, you also mentioned “all the pattern commands.” The pattern symbol is a device that communicates “pattern.” The symbol I refer to as a verb. The subject of patterning – face, feature, curve, geometry, component – I refer to as a noun. And amongst those 2000+ icons NX has many nouns and many verbs.

I’m sure this is small consolation but having used new icons for a long time already, on occasion when I need to refer back to NX 12 that flashback is now my speed bump.

Eric