Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX New Icons.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @EricMawby ,

as you had answered in another post '...NX is fortunate to have such an involved community.' NX is focused on customer need. This is my polite paraphrasing.

When NX1847 beta came out, an years ago, the majority of NX users had complained about this new icon set. Some NX users had suggested a good solution.

Now, NX 1847 is released and some companies are adopting it.

The opinion is the same.

I hope the project to improve the icons is real and to abandon some ideas because they are not choices that have to follow fashion but to follow the needs of those who use NX 8 hours a day.

Thank you...

Using NX1876
RuleDesigner PDM

Genius
Genius

I have been using NX for the last 3 years and I like the new NX1847 colors. I like the logic they follow and I think they are more intuitive, specially for new users. I think they are "easy to use". I agree I find icons not only because its color and shape but also by its location. Obviously, if you know the old icons you need to relearn the new icons and I agree that they can be improved, I personally would prefer a few more color differences between icons, I mean keeping the current color consistence but with a slightly wider variety, not much wider variety which in my oppinion would be confusing again. Just my opinion.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Javiduc ,

this is only an example. Look to the new respect to the old. Colors are not emotional into software. Colors are used to identify rapidly a command. Monochrome icon is a bad choice for CAD software.

2019-03-11_12-27-32.png

Thank you...

Using NX1876
RuleDesigner PDM

Hi all,

Have to agree with @cubalibre00 , it's only about being able to quickly locate commands. Just now I was searching the synchronous gallery by accident because they're the same colour as features, and all pattern commands now look identical.

Monochrome is worse, I keep pausing to find the assembly and part nav tabs, because I just want to quickly hit yellow or purple, and they aren't there. Similarly the perspective icon is much harder to find now, and fit looks like pan.

For CAD it doesn't really matter what the symbols show as they aren't being translated. All that matters is that they are simple and obviously different to each other, so we can look first for a colour, then for a shape. That colour and shape then become associated with the command.

Edit with rollback is a good example, I'm just looking for a cog (vs a block), but now we have 4 x orange cylinders in the RMB menu.

Really like the other changes in NX-CR, particularly part navigator improvements, but struggling with the icons.

Experimenter
Experimenter

@EricMawby  schrieb:

For those interested in understanding why we did what we did, I will attempt a few details without too much information that I suspect you would rather not be bothered with.

Hello Eric,

thank you for your explanation. I understand what you did an why. I now, you did a lot of work for the new icons. But in fact, the users don't like it. It is not that what we are expecting from Siemens.

@EricMawby  schrieb:

The rest of the post spirals a bit, some expressing dislike for the new icons, particularly color. Color is emotional and emotion is expressed in some responses. My polite paraphrasing.

Because we customers don't like it, you tell us that we are emotional. That's not the thing. 
It's just harder for us to differentiate the icons. I think, you shot over the target.

@EricMawby  schrieb:

We developed a design language for the icons – ...

You sounds like an architekt. And we all know how practical these "modern" designed buildings are ...

@EricMawby  schrieb:

I will point out that where I refer to “we” I am mostly referring to “me” (grammatically “I”), but in “we” I include the creative consultants at the design firm that we contracted for icon design.

There are many companies that realize too late that they have the wrong consultants.

My summary:

So far, all of Siemens employees have only spoken positively about the new design. Almost only Siemens people. 

The users dont like the new design and it's hard for you to accept that. 

I understand that you defend your work, but you have to realize that it does not matter well. 

The customer pays a lot of money for licences and support every yaer. So your work should be a benefit for the user. 

Is it? I Think: NO! I'ts the opposite.

We have to invest a lot of time and money to learn the new icons and then its harder to destinguish the icons than before. The human eyes are using colors to distinguish different icons as fast and not small differences of shape. 

It will result in a headache.
Your solution possibly causes "eye cancer". (Yes I can make jokes about cancer, I already had it.)

Regards

The Prof

Phenom
Phenom

@Professor wrote:

@EricMawby  schrieb:

For those interested in understanding why we did what we did, I will attempt a few details without too much information that I suspect you would rather not be bothered with.

Hello Eric,

thank you for your explanation. I understand what you did an why. I now, you did a lot of work for the new icons. But in fact, the users don't like it. It is not that what we are expecting from Siemens.

@EricMawby  schrieb:

The rest of the post spirals a bit, some expressing dislike for the new icons, particularly color. Color is emotional and emotion is expressed in some responses. My polite paraphrasing.

Because we customers don't like it, you tell us that we are emotional. That's not the thing. 
It's just harder for us to differentiate the icons. I think, you shot over the target.

@EricMawby  schrieb:

We developed a design language for the icons – ...

You sounds like an architekt. And we all know how practical these "modern" designed buildings are ...

@EricMawby  schrieb:

I will point out that where I refer to “we” I am mostly referring to “me” (grammatically “I”), but in “we” I include the creative consultants at the design firm that we contracted for icon design.

There are many companies that realize too late that they have the wrong consultants.

My summary:

So far, all of Siemens employees have only spoken positively about the new design. Almost only Siemens people. 

The users dont like the new design and it's hard for you to accept that. 

I understand that you defend your work, but you have to realize that it does not matter well. 

The customer pays a lot of money for licences and support every yaer. So your work should be a benefit for the user. 

Is it? I Think: NO! I'ts the opposite.

We have to invest a lot of time and money to learn the new icons and then its harder to destinguish the icons than before. The human eyes are using colors to distinguish different icons as fast and not small differences of shape. 

It will result in a headache.
Your solution possibly causes "eye cancer". (Yes I can make jokes about cancer, I already had it.)

Regards

The Prof

Siemens employee doesn't use NX for the purpose for which it is developed. They carry out quality tests.

Tell me if it's clear which parts are in read-only or modifiable.

2019-04-12_11-37-28.png

Thank you...

Using NX1876
RuleDesigner PDM

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

#cubalibre00 Thats not strictly true, we have numerous consultants across the globe that work with and support customers on site on a daily basis, so saying that we just test the software is not correct.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Just weighing in as another actual user.

The new icons are actually a huge step backwards for us.

Not only just that we do not like them (emotionally), 

but practically they are and have been detremental to our users.

There is the time and cost required to relearn them, as well as,

the ongoing lack of contrast which slows identification of the required functions.

Everthing being a grey line image is not effective.

In many instaces we can not even readily identify what functions are "grey out", they all look greyed out!!!

The lack of colour dimishes the ability to differentate as well.

This is on top of the new schemes only applying to around half the icons.

Icons in the same series are mixed, some are old style some new, for example, show / hide, show only, show all, invert etc etc.

No doubt as you roll this folly out further we will have more relearning to undertake.

Not happy about this at all!

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi @EDC_1 ,

I am interested in your comment "detremental to our users" in what way? I understand change is emotional, not everyone likes it at first. I remember some customers back in the Unigraphics days discussing with despair, the loss of the PFK (Programme Function Keyboard, for the youngters amongst you) but that soon waned and they embraced the knew UI. I have been an NX user for 31+ years, yes I work for Siemens, but I spend every day on NX and have seen multiple changes over the years none of which stopped me in my tracks . As for relearning, nothing we have done has cost me any tangible time to get re-accustomed, in fact many of the changes over the years have meant being more productive.

You also mention having mixed icons in show/hide for example, unless I am missing something they all look current to me.

Regards

Paul

Show-Hide.png

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Paul_Bevan wrote:

Hi @EDC_1 ,

I am interested in your comment "detremental to our users" in what way?

Slowed productivity.  Slowing to hunt for icon's, because you either don't recognize it, or can't pick it out of the abyss of grey, does not get work done.  Users minds see an all grey icon, as 'unavailable', it's pretty standard.  Not in NX anymore, infact for our custom toolbar, I used existing NX11 icons (creating icon's does not make the car faster), but now the toolbar is almost entirely grey, and users have to slow down, to take a closer look, or read them.

NX11

NX11.JPG

NX1847+

NX1847.JPG

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10