Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX New Icons.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

@DaveK 

Personnally I think the 1847+ ones stand out more. Here are 2 examples that I think illustrate that fact.The icons themselves better illustrate what the function does too in some cases such as law extension, enlarge. You also find they can represent the actual feature too such as the datum plane icon.

As I said earlier I understand UI change can have emotions runnning high but we have not moved the out of the box icon positions as far as I can see, which would be more of an issue.

NX UI Comparison.pngNX UI Comparison 02.png

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm not saying the icon change is 100% bad, it's primarily the colors, or lack there of.  Users rely on muscle memory to bring the cursor to the general location of the icon, and then a quick visual look to zero in.  The quick visual cue is greatly reduced, once the icon does not stand out from it's neighbors.

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10

Siemens Legend

@DaveK I appreciate your view, UI changes are contentious and we do not undertake them lightly or without considerable research and user feedback. 

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@Paul_Bevan,

Hi Paul,

I would think it were obvious that the ones I've marked could all be mistaken for one another without the icon labels, especially if moved around/customized. I think that's the main issue with the grayscale icons, just at a glance. I haven't used it yet, but if I were asked, these would be the very first things I would point out as possibly being problematic - they are very difficult to distinguish between one another.NX1847 example.png

Not all users keep the OOTB tabs or icon positions. I typically remove icons (commands) which get little use. @DaveK's example, for me, doesn't even require an explanation - the similarities from one icon to the next say it all, IMO. I don't care that labels are included for icons because I feel they shouldn't be necessary in most cases - the users should be able to LOOK and know where they're going - not rely on reading. That's stuff new users should be falling back upon, not users of 25+ years (again, IMO).

What does grayscale lend that so favorable? How does an isometric view of a solid shape identify 4-5 different commands in NX such that it's EASY to understand where the user will be going WITHOUT labels if the user clicks on the icon?  That's what I'm struggling with understanding - the value of seemingly de-emphasizing some icons.

I know, the interface is usually going to change at least once every 5-10 years - it's inevitable. However, given the facts that 2 times (WinXP & now Win10) the feedback wasn't so great through this community/forum, I'd think that development would want to get a better cross section on the feedback before making decisions that affect just about everyone. Maybe invite active veteran users to a private poll - just do more to test things out to a wider cross section of users before jumping into the deep end with both feet and having users vent frustrations for months over things that could have easily been tested a bit more thoroughly before being dumped on the user base? Yes, dumped is how users more than likely feel about things like this - for me, I don't take it so emotionally anymore because I've grown to expect it - and that's just sad, really. A customer of yours expects to be disappointed. Sorry, but I just don't think that's right but I honestly don't feel it will ever change at least on this particular subject.

Not intended to be read as a rant, just being honest and trying to lend some help in any way possible.

Thanks for your time & efforts - as well as all at GTAC & Siemens that take the time to respond & participate with users - they are very much appreciated.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7

Siemens Legend

@TimF , good comments, as I mentioned we do garner feedback from customers both at user group events and also beta test so this is not done without thought of the end user, in fact there were user comments taken in to consideration and implemented after initial testing.  In my experience, apart from this thread, in all the customer/user events I get involved in I have had zero negative comments on the UI. As you rightly said UI refreshes will happen from time to time  and feedback like this from yourself and others is valued.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

fwiw, I have posed the question to our driver coach/trainer.  He works a lot with hand/eye motion, and visual cue studies, from an athletic perspective, and I'm curious what his thoughts are on our 'performance', due to a change like this.

I like @TimF idea of polling vetern users.  I've been curious of the beta testing cross section, since the response on here, in numerous threads, is that users aren't thrilled by the icon change. 

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10

Siemens Legend

@DaveK Beta testing is open to everyone so there is a good cross section. We also had early look sessions at a number of user conferences where users like yourself could sign up and take a look and comment. I am not saying there is not room for even more improvement, its an evolving state. In an ealier post Eric Mawby outlined that we used a professional company well versed in UI design in the process.

Regards

Paul

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Paul_Bevan wrote:

@TimF , good comments, as I mentioned we do garner feedback from customers both at user group events and also beta test so this is not done without thought of the end user, in fact there were user comments taken in to consideration and implemented after initial testing.  In my experience, apart from this thread, in all the customer/user events I get involved in I have had zero negative comments on the UI. As you rightly said UI refreshes will happen from time to time  and feedback like this from yourself and others is valued.

I'm not surprised; people who test your product will generally give you the answers that they think you want to hear. Whenever we do (consumer) product testing, we need to take great care to anonymize the various products and not tell them who we represent (sometimes going so far as to use an independent 3rd party to conduct the testing) to ensure that we get honest feedback. Most consumers don't know one brand's product from another after the logo has been removed. We have it a bit easier in that regard.

People who pay to attend a user group or beta test (time and/or money) will not provide an unbiased opinion of the "new stuff".

Siemens Legend

@cowski1 Totally disagree with your last statement. They come to see whats new or test it and they have no problem in voicing their opinion good or bad.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Paul_Bevan wrote:

@cowski1 Totally disagree with your last statement. They come to see whats new or test it and they have no problem in voicing their opinion good or bad.

Understandable; bias is tough to see when you are in the middle of it.

https://medium.theuxblog.com/overcoming-bias-in-research-and-product-design-f35a0d92496d