Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX PDM?

Legend
Legend

I'm not sure if this belongs on the design board or not.

For quite some time I've been a "one man show", occasionally I get helpers and I've trained a fair number of folks.

Keeping control of our math files and dwgs hasn't been too much of an issue. but to be honest I've had a couple of close calls with someone modifying a file when they shouldn't have.

Teamcenter seems like overkill for a 2 (AdvDes bundles)seat site. Is there any cost effective solutions for a small environment? Mainly I'd like to prevent 2 people from opening the same file at the same time and both being able to save/overwrite the existing file.

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.1 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:nothing.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro
12 REPLIES

Re: NX PDM?

Phenom
Phenom

Not sure about a PDM, I don't have much experience there.

But for my code projects I use Subversion for version control and this can handle any file types including NX parts.

It (as far as I know) does not allow locking of files, so it can't actually stop 2 people editing the same file. But anytime you commit changes, older versions are kept and you can roll back to them if required.

For text (eg source code) files there can be multiple people editing their checked out copy of the same file and upon commit all of the changes get merged into the Subversion repository copy. Usually this works fine, but if there is a conflict you are prompted which to use.

For binary (eg NX parts) files there is no merging, just copies of updated files.

Subversion is free open-source: https://subversion.apache.org/

And there is a free Windows shell extension named Tortoise: https://tortoisesvn.net/

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Lenovo ThinkPad W540, Win7, 16GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: [NX8.5.3.3 MP11 64bit] Testing: [NX12.0.2 MP1]

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I believe older "source code control" systems (such as CVS) had file locking.

Another option is file permissions in Windows - whether someone has read or read+write access.

I'm not sure you have the needed background to do coding in the NX API, but perhaps something could be found on Sourceforge that would work?

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Legend
Legend

I have trouble editing Journals Smiley Sad

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.1 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:nothing.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Would this be something you could set up ahead of time?

(e.g. put files into folders where you have/need write access into one folder, files the other person has/needs write access to the another folder, and you use search directories in your load options to search both folders)

Or is this more of an "on-the-fly" type of thing ("I'm done with part XYZ, now could you finish it off?")

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Interesting to read Graham, that you are using subversion for NX data. I have been using subversion for over 10 years now for all NX data and it's configuration. The complete archive and configuration is in a repository and every user has it's own repository. Although this is not completely idiot proof, because you will never loose anything you can always rollback to a previous version. And it is easy to check who changed what and when. 

The machineshop has only read acces to the archive and configuration. This doesn't stop you from making local changes. But getting back to the original state is done by just deleting all files or folders and updating again from the repository. 

So, if you want to work with others you can restrict write access but allow read access. You can setup a folder in which you merge everything or you could make release folders just as you would when using subversion for software development.

Although subversion needs some work to setup, this is nothing compared to teamcenter. 

W10 NX12.0.2.9

Phenom
Phenom

I don't do much actual design work, I'm a software engineer working almost solely on NXOpen projects, so Subversion is ideal for me.

The parts I store in Subversion are ones that my projects use as templates, UDFs etc. I don't use it as the main storage for parts. Corporately we started out using Teamcentre, although it never quite got rolled out to everyone. But over the last couple of years we have started to switch to SAP/PLM. I'll start using that in the coming few weeks. Not looking forward to it tho Man Indifferent

However, the software projects (and probably the related parts) will remain in Subversion.

Genius
Genius

[quote]But over the last couple of years we have started to switch to SAP/PLM. I'll start using that in the coming few weeks. Not looking forward to it tho Man Indifferent[/quote]

Are you using it pure from SAP or with ECTR? And why are you not looking forward to it?

Phenom
Phenom
It is with ECTR. In fact I'm off to head office for ECTR training tomorrow.
I'm not looking forward to it because from my perspective it doesn't give me much (except more complications..). And the experience with getting ECTR to work with our automation systems so far from my colleagues has been mediocre to say the least.
I have an open mind though, so maybe in a couple of months I'll see the benefits and wonder how I lived without it. I'll wait and see...

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @R_Newcomb,

Have you considered Teamcenter Rapid Start? It's a lightweightand more cost-effective PDM solution for small businesses than regular Teamcenter. I am not as familiar with the data management side of things, but I can connect you with someone who is if you'd like to know more. 

Regards, 

Amy 

Community Manager, Solid Edge
Rules of Participation | Become a Guest Author
Become a Solid Edge Certified pro today!